Thread: Upgrade to 15.10: The UPS is critically low. The computer is about to shut down.

Beans

Exclamation Upgrade to 15.10: The UPS is critically low. The computer is about to shut down.

Upgrading from a fresh 15.04 install to 15.10, I got a notification containing the message in the title. The computer proceeded to shut down in the middle of the upgrade process, leaving me "unable to mount root" on next boot. The UPS (an APC 750) had full battery and active A/C power.

Beans

Re: Upgrade to 15.10: The UPS is critically low. The computer is about to shut down.

I at least was able to mount, it tried to boot 15.10 but the login screen just returns after attempting to login. On another terminal I am trying to repair the install by continuing dpkg.

Edit: Seems to be working now.
    Last edited by thomass3; November 9th, 2015 at 07:42 AM.

Beans

Re: Upgrade to 15.10: The UPS is critically low. The computer is about to shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by mniland View Post
    Upgrading from a fresh 15.04 install to 15.10, I got a notification containing the message in the title. The computer proceeded to shut down in the middle of the upgrade process, leaving me "unable to mount root" on next boot. The UPS (an APC 750) had full battery and active A/C power.
    I can confirm the exact same problem. I have an APC Back-UPS XS 1500. Is there a workaround to this upgrade problem ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

What if you plug the machine directly into the wall outlet?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    What if you plug the machine directly into the wall outlet?
    I did something similar to what you suggest to get around this problem when upgrading. I simply disconnected the USB connection between my power supply and my computer which told Ubuntu that my computer was connected to a power supply, before upgrading. This way Ubuntu 15.04 was not picking up the power supply at all even though it was there, so it did not shut down the computer during the upgrade with the reported bug in the OP. After the upgrade to 15.10 I was able to connect the USB connection again, Ubuntu picked up the power supply being attached, and all is well.