Thread: Dell n4030 freezes when connected to WiFi

Beans

Dell n4030 freezes when connected to WiFi

Hello. I wanted to look for some help for a problem I seem to be having with a Dell n4030 Laptop. I recently upgraded the HDD to a 128GB SSD drive, since the old one was busted (reason why the laptop had been stored for about a year). First time installing Ubuntu on this laptop, I installed Ubuntu 14.04 and got random freezes, so I decided to downgrade and see how it went (couldn't upgrade; I need the LTS stability). I downgraded to 12.04 and everything seemed better, until I did intesive use of the network card, which caused to freeze yet again. This seems like a rather odd program, and having tried drivers and kernel changes, I decided to come here to ask for help. The 128 GB SSD drive was brand new and has been tested to see if it was misbehaving (in another PC; the results are all OK), so I've discarded that option.

It would be really great if anyone could give me a hand with this. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Dell n4030 freezes when connected to WiFi

Before deciding whether or not LTS is a good choice for you it's important to know all options.

In stead of going backwards I suggest that you try Buntu 15.10. Although it's in beta it is close to release. How does this one behave?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: Dell n4030 freezes when connected to WiFi

Well, since I can't be dealing with bugs all the time (work machine, not play machine ), I would rather not. However, I will try and see if by installing that one the problem is resolved. I will post again with the results Thanks!