Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What was your reaction the first time you used Linux/Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What was your reaction the first time you used Linux/Ubuntu?

I started out with a homebuilt pc (AMD K6-2 450, 512k ram, 10gig hard drive) running Win 95. Was given a Corel Linux cd. Since I was a newb I screwed the 95 partition and lost everything. Threw the Corel cd out and installed Win 98se.
    Next foray into linux with upgraded hardware was with Knoppix on a separate drive ( a little smarter) dualboot. Bought Win XP, installed it (forgot to unplug Knoppix drive) and ran with it for a while. Knoppix was cool, didn't miss it though.
    Later found a link to Ubuntu somewhere and installed Dapper Drake. First OS install that didn't turn into a cf. Which was a HUGE relief after running different flavors of Windows. Very much fun.
    I have since ran through quite a few distros (native and vm) and finally settled down with Ubuntu 12.04. Not gonna like it when the repo's shut down for it.
    On the Windows side I have 7 and 8.1 on separate drives for games. OS usage= 98 percent linux, 2 percent Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!

I started using computers in 1972. That was before Microsoft or Apple existed. The operating systems of those days have been described as UNIX or UNIX-like. So, when I tried Linux it didn't seem like a strange new thing to me at all. I started with Slackware, then Debian and Red Hat. When Ubuntu came along I tried it, and have used it as my main Linux OS ever since.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

To actually answer the question (unlike my earlier post!), the original release of 'Trusty' was my first dip into the waters of the Linux sea, in May, last year. I was ready for a change from Win XP, which had just gone EOL, anyway.

I downloaded, burned to disk, tried out the Live CD.....and installed it, all within the space of two hours. And wiped M$ out of my life, just like that. I like it. I like it a lot, actually. Everything about it, once you get up the top of that big ol' learning curve, is way easier to get on with than Windows.

I've 'distro-hopped' a lot since then.....but returned to, and settled down with, the 'buntus & the 'Puppies'. And all my 'Pups' are based on 'buntu binaries.....with one exception.

Which tells you something.....

Regards,

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    I started using computers in 1972. That was before Microsoft or Apple existed.
    Now I see what's enjoying you retirement. Man you deserve my worship.
    I started by using Ubuntu 7.04. I love the old days with simple Ubuntu 10.04. Unfortunately, Since new OS have better support for new machines, I upgrade as others.
    Actually I don't feel too surprised by using command lines (I started my computer techs since DOS) but surprised by the nice windows interface for installation and Desktop Environment. Except for gaming, it's a really reliable way to write novels.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"You're telling me this is free?!"
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I had been using Debian Woody on my AmigaONE XE for a time and as such installed Debian on my pc. It ran great but when some updates came in it b0rked it and I spent about 3 days on a Googleathon searching for how to fix it.

Fix it I did and it ran bloody perfect for about two years (Just long enough to forget what you learned to fix it) and then I updated it again and........ Oh God please no. Same issue as first time and I just couldn't remember how I fixed it. I thought "there must be an easier way" and thought "I'll try that new "Debian made easy thing called Ubuntu".

It was Fiesty Fawn (7:04) and I was blown away. Apart from a 6 month sojourn onto Kubuntu which was on my spare drive (main drive crapped out) I've been on Ubuntu ever since.

Btw.. The only thing I'll diss Kubuntu with is it's search in dolphin. It sux BIG time. I actually installed Nautilus just so I could search easy ! <--- This was this year !!
    Last edited by Swagman; October 29th, 2015 at 10:14 PM.

Beans

When I first tried Linux I thought 'Wow this sucks'

When I first tried Mandrake/Mandriva I thought 'Wow this doesn't suck!'

When I first tried Ubuntu I thought 'Wow this doesn't suck AND it doesn't blow my Laptop up!'

Beans

The mouse cursor is a cross, this defiantly makes up for the lack of modem support.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

My first introduction to linux was in about 1996. I was in Japan and an British coworker and I had little to do in the office. We used the company’s T1 connection to download the 20 or so floppy images for what I believe was Slacware. (I wasn’t into this stuff back then, so I didn’t take particular note of it.) It was mostly his project, but I stuck my head in from time to time and thought it was cool.

In 1998, I was back in the States and decided Linux was worth trying on my own. These were dial-up days, so I ordered Mandrake CDs. Those wacky French took a ridiculously long time to send them and in the meantime, I bought SuSE Linux at a local bookshop. After several months, I received the Mandrake CDs, but by then, I was hooked on SuSE. I gave Drake a try, but stuck with SuSE for quite a while. Several years. (Those were the days! I remember KDE 3.0 being new and exciting! Sigh)

At about 2003, I finally got a cable ISP and the floodgates opened! My only thought was, “Wow, I can try all the distros now!” And I did. Major ones like Redhat, Slac, etc., and derivitives, also.

Finally, I discovered Debian and apt-get, and never looked back! It’s just the best way to manage a distro.

When Ubuntu came out, I didn’t have much initial interest, as it was just Debian with a more user friendly install process. However, there is strength in numbers. As the years have gone by, Ubuntu has become far and away the most popular distro. This means a large selection of available packages. When I started to see more and more that I had to compile on Debian when I could have just apt-get in Ubuntu… Ease of use won out over my Debian snobbery! And yes, it’s nice to have video and wireless (mostly) detected and configured without having to do it all myself.
    - Tom
    Usually on the latest version of Ubuntu, Lubuntu...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsWithGPS View Post
    And for those of you who only use Ubuntu, how was moving from (probably) Windows to the glorious Linux world?
    My Uncle, a retired State Worker and also he had a business degree, introduced me to Ubuntu.

I had been paying a PREMIUM for Apple Mac computers for years, as Windows is simply a piece of ______________.

Moving from Apple Mac (Mac is Unix based and very related to Linux), moving from Macintosh to Ubuntu at the time was wonderful.

I was a teacher at the time, which we don't make much money doing here in the States, and my reaction was this:

Ubuntu is rock solid like Mac OS X, but Mac OS X computers were breaking my wallet.

Ubuntu was free and I could put it on an old system and it ran as smoothly as a new Mac or new Windows box.

And no anti-virus needed, just like Mac OS X.

Once I went Ubuntu, I never went back!

Then I started to read about what Ubuntu was and now I have read many books on the power of Linux since then!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast