Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Beans

Re: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Nevermind I can't stand SUSE, I wouldn't want to use it if they paid me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i really appreciate the great community based support that i can get for ubuntu and that for me gives it an edge over suse. also ubuntu just has more online resources for the newbies. i have used both and in fact have suse sitting on another partition as i type this but nowadays are more inclined towards dapper. a added feature is that my ipod video finally works with gtkpod in dapper!

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been a Suse user for a couple of years now and find that distro to be super. It has almost everything you could wish for. But there are some downsides and they could be for example;
    * Possibly slower than other distros on boot and in normal operations.
    * Not as glued together GUI and application wise as other distros.
    * A REALLY messed up update and package managment system. Came last release. Before that things were ALOT better.

Otherwise Suse is really a greate distro. It always has all applications acceccable to users that cannot build their own packages.

I have noticed now as a new user to Ubuntu that Ubuntu packages often are of older releases in the repos. I have activated all the repos that could be acivated but still there are only old versions of some apps. This is irritating. Using suse there was always a choise to use the absolute latest releases. One such example is the Multisync app I am trying to find upto date versions on. Ubuntu only has an old buggy version.

So far Ubuntu has been really impressing and I am still learning alot about this distro. Lots of pros fro Ubuntu that is for sure.

rattlerviper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yozef View Post
    Nevermind I can't stand SUSE, I wouldn't want to use it if they paid me.
    Sad part is I once paid 60 bucks for a set of their install disks. I really did like them. Now I'm kinda in your boat. It certainly has it's devotees though(to me they seem a little like the Mac community) .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rattlerviper View Post
    Sad part is I once paid 60 bucks for a set of their install disks. I really did like them. Now I'm kinda in your boat. It certainly has it's devotees though(to me they seem a little like the Mac community) .
    Let's hope it won't happen to ubuntu. But the best part is that evern if it would there always be some other distro to take its place.

rattlerviper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VirtuAlex View Post
    Let's hope it won't happen to ubuntu. But the best part is that evern if it would there always be some other distro to take its place.
    Your right there is a plethora of distros out there willing to step in and be the best. Personally I feel the problem with Suse is due to being disconnected from the community. They have seem to have fallen behind. They are making efforts to reattach to the communuty though, it is now OpenSuse. I expect we will see some changes begin to come down the line.

I'll also add that I don't see this happening at Ubuntu. One of the big reasons I'm here and not somewhere else is the philosophy. The software is really good, but the philosophy and the community here are what keeps me. Then again back in 1999 and 2000 it was Suse that seemed untouchable to me, so who knows.
    Last edited by rattlerviper; August 6th, 2006 at 11:32 PM. Reason: terrible grammar

Beans

I ran SUSE 10.0 (for a desktop and server) for over a year before trying Ubuntu 6.06. I have to say dapper is a much better distro and this forum is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than any I found for SUSE.
    QNAP TVS-672N - Ubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Its really a matter of preference. Thats what's great about having different distros.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ive not used the SUSE distro, but im using the SLED 10 and that freaking distro is awesome.

I tripple boot Ubuntu Dapper, SLED 10, and Fedora 5. I love them all. LOL

Beans

Well I think the bestest disco is RedHat 5.0 no Really! Just kidding just recently came over from the xp dark side and the last linux was RH 5 try getting a sharp widenote resolution and drivers on that setup.

But now I have tried all the different flavors I can honestly say in my humble opion that I think ubuntu has something here and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

Just one question "Why is the Goddess Ubuntu tempting me with her muses?" I have tried the kde to busy and bloated started really liking the gnome version got it all setup and am now in Xubuntu and loving it even more.

Does the Temptress Goddess Ubuntu have any shame?

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast