Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by darkhatter View Post
    after awhile you start to miss all the good suse stuff I just wish they didn't go gnome. If I wanted to type in commands I would go back to my slackware system, yast does take a while to start but thats ok, cause I can configure my whole system using that, its also got better hardware support. you can stop with the suse 10.1 they openly said there was a problem and have provided fixes openSuse 10.2 should go back to normal. I must be going now you can continue your suse and novell bashing
    SuSE still allows you to choose KDE if you want. . . and this thread was not intended for suse/novell bashing these are actually my two favorite distro's (next to DreamLinux) but it seems you can't post a simple thread about pro's and cons w/o some people feeling the need to bash anything that's not what they use.
    Love running state of the art for free rather than a bad kde copy for hundreds, ONCE YOU GO PENGUIN NEVER WINDOWS AGAIN!

Beans

Sorry I like to flame bait, but thats what alot of users are doing, and I know that they say they are supporting both kde and gnome, but kde has been missing the love I hope they make it look the same as they're gnome desktop. I really like the colors and the slab. if they make a kslab I'll be very happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I actually changed the look of kde (on suse) to look more like ubuntu.
    http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?i...eorangesw3.png
    I don't think you can really compare suse kde to suse gnome because kde and gnome are pretty different but I reckon gnome on ubuntu is much nicer to use than gnome on suse but kde on suse is nicer to use than anything.
    Of course ubuntu has got this forum and there's nothing quite like it for suse.
    Last edited by shame; September 11th, 2006 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I recently tried suse 10.1 64 bit and found problems with my usb sticks. It looked like it thought my printer was three sticks. Also sound was not ok. I had been using suse since 9.2 and had no problems at all. But from 10 it's broke (my opinion). The move away from YASt and you is disasterous as an update during install used to work very well and now it does not at all and a 'handling' has to be done by the user to get the updates working at all. The nvidia driver no longer gets installed thru you either.All in all the usability has gone backwards. Even though it is still a very nice distro i need my usb sticks working. I tired the 32 bit version and eventually went back to suse 10.0 and found problems with my sound has arisen so I decided to try kubuntu as it went on my laptop without a problem and so far so good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Both distros are cool, but i like Ubuntu more, the community is much nicer, and I had less less less problems with Ubuntu in a scale of 1 to 10, SUSE:8 Ubuntu:9.5 (note: that is my own personal opinion as i said SUSE is also good, My first distro )

Beans

As a new convert to Linux I played with both open suse 10.1 and Ubuntu before settling on one. Out of the box Suse was nicer. Most stuff that I wanted was there and worked with my hardware (compaq v3000), but the package manager was broken and I wasn't able to get it to work by following the how-to's. Ubuntu was a bit more work to get working with my hardware and set-up the way I wanted, but anytime I needed help, I found it on the Ubuntu forums or in the community documentation. This is the main reason I settled on Ubuntu. These are an excellent resource and I just want to thank all those that contribute.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Each distro has it's flaws, and I think Suse has many more than Ubuntu.

Suse issues:
    Packages aren't up to date. They're still using Gnome 2.12
    My wireless card driver (rtl8180) isn't included by default, even the opensource version
    YaST
    Totem/Banshee crippled by lack of gstreamer plugins, a pain to get working
    Too many applications for the same functions, bloat... (firefox, seamonkey, links, konqueror and epiphany on a default install)

Pluses:
    Prettiest Linux desktop out there
    Good choice of applications (f-spot, banshee, network-manager)
    Decently stable

I look forward to trying out 10.2 though. Some day I hope to make the switch to Suse from Ubuntu, but they need some work. I'd be willing to help offer suggestions and file bug reports, but the community seems dead. Nobody in the IRC channel, no real community forums, and they're nothing compared to Ubuntu's... etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here is my opinion on the subject matter, Suse can't make up it's mind. First Suse was Slackware based, then I assume the Suse team didn't have enough skills to maintain it's slackish nature so they moved on to an RPM based system, which is pretty much obsolete. Yeah there is Fedora but whoo hoo, who cares. They might as well change to a debian base and utilize the apt packaging system which is a superior packaging system to RPM, and jump on the band wagon with Ubuntu. I have recently migrated from Slackware to Ubuntu, in all honesty Slackware is a superior distro when it comes to stability, security and speed, but Ubuntu is far superior to Suse. Ubuntu is a very good project but I hope they don't follow the route of Red Hat or venture too far from it's debian ancestor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

so they moved on to an RPM based system, which is pretty much obsolete.
    wakey wakey! time for you to get in touch with reality.

sl_4ck
    i'm sorry, but given what youve said there, its clear that he need to wise up....a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Let me get something clear. First of all the first thing I mentioned is that this is only my OPINION. Secondly, RPM packages, which by the way was developed by Red Hat, hence the "red hat package management", is no longer active in the Linux world. Yes RPM is being managed elsewhere but technically it is obsolete, just as red hat is obsolete. I also mentioned Fedora, which is pretty much a few of the die hard developers who didn't want to sink with the ship when red hat plummeted to ends doom. So I suggest you do your research. Make sure you practice your kung fu before stepping into the ring, cause you might get chewed up.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast