Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Beans

Thumbs down Re: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

BUT ! since being a new user it makes me panic while using each commands ! "some words in UBUNTU make me stand still "

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mobileking View Post
    BUT ! since being a new user it makes me panic while using each commands ! "some words in UBUNTU make me stand still "
    As they should! Remember kids, Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cut my teeth on openSUSE 10.1 at work (yes, our non-IT office uses Linux and managed to break it in 3 months - KDE wouldn't even load on startup. A friend told me to try Ubuntu since the forums are friendly and I love it as much as my puppy at home, but only because of all the stuff I learned in the process of breaking SUSE; an even mixture of what I want/need from my OS and how Linux works. It is easy to love something once you understand it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDarkElf View Post
    Cut my teeth on openSUSE 10.1 at work (yes, our non-IT office uses Linux and managed to break it in 3 months - KDE wouldn't even load on startup. A friend told me to try Ubuntu since the forums are friendly and I love it as much as my puppy at home, but only because of all the stuff I learned in the process of breaking SUSE; an even mixture of what I want/need from my OS and how Linux works. It is easy to love something once you understand it.
    Hi EvilDarkElf! For what it's worth, openSUSE 10.1 was HORRIBLE! It was the release that drove me to start using Ubuntu. Package management was broken, X wouldn't load half the time... <shudder>. Anyway, it was all fixed in 10.2, and 10.3 is better still. Very much worth trying out.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Incense View Post
    Hi EvilDarkElf! For what it's worth, openSUSE 10.1 was HORRIBLE! It was the release that drove me to start using Ubuntu. Package management was broken, X wouldn't load half the time... <shudder>. Anyway, it was all fixed in 10.2, and 10.3 is better still. Very much worth trying out.
    OpenSuSE 10.2 drove me from KDE to Gnome... I had to attempt 4-5 times to launch an app in KDE on 10.2 while in Gnome it worked fin the first time.
    First they ignore you...
    Then they laugh at you...
    Then they fight you...
    And then you win!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I started on SuSe but had way to many problems I finally ended up on Ubuntu and I love it! Ubuntu gets my vote.

Beans
    Hidden!

I haven't used my SuSE install in weeks because it doesn't work on the University network (it's a KNetworkManager issue). I still maintain that it's got a level of polish Ubuntu doesn't, but it seems like it's a lot more fickle with functionality. Shame, too.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I haven't used my SuSE install in weeks because it doesn't work on the University network (it's a KNetworkManager issue). I still maintain that it's got a level of polish Ubuntu doesn't, but it seems like it's a lot more fickle with functionality. Shame, too.
    Knetwork manager does like to lose my home network a lot so I feel your pain there. Fiesty did the same thing, only it wouldn't reconnect, SuSE will at least do that for me. Win some lose some eh?
    Don't Panic!
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Incense View Post
    Knetwork manager does like to lose my home network a lot so I feel your pain there. Fiesty did the same thing, only it wouldn't reconnect, SuSE will at least do that for me. Win some lose some eh?
    Are you using ndiswrapper?

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dca View Post
    Are you using ndiswrapper?
    My wireless was detected out of the box, so I'm just using that. Do you think I would see better performance if I was using the windows driver?
    Don't Panic!
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast