Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

Beans

Re: SuSE vs. Ubuntu

SuSE Gnome owns just as much as its KDE

Beans

That's nice to know . I suppose they do have Ximian doing the main work so it should be one of the best Gnomes out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I haven't seen SuSe 10.2 yet but I really liked KDE on 9.1 so I assumed Kubuntu would be equal to or better than GNOME on Ubuntu. All my experience was with KDE until Ubuntu. I just tried Kubuntu (64-bit) on a new machine I'm building and I was quite disappointed. Even MEPIS 6.06 was a bit easier to use, but still not as good as my old SuSe 9.1. I actually prefer SuSe 9.1 (sadly, no longer supported) to Kubuntu, especially when you consider the ease and functionality of Yast.

But I really like Ubuntu Edgy with GNOME, even though I've loaded a lot of KDE apps and libs to make it easier to use. I can't explain it, Ubuntu just suits me. Maybe it is just the right combination of a clean GUI, great software repositories, and a painless install. I'm hoping to try SuSe 10.2 soon, but expect I'll still spend more time using Ubuntu. Both are winners I'd recommend for most new or old Linux users (except hard core slackers, etc.). For me, Kubuntu just doesn't quite measure up to either yet.
    su d'oh!_____
    Adults read and write, children look at the pictures; adults can use the terminal, children only use the menus. Linux Cmds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

<my2cents> Well my first ever foray into linux about 3 years ago was when a copy of Suse 9.3 was given to me to try on my old laptop. It installed nicely yet it had major issues getting the DVD/CD-RW to mount! (Turned out my laptop-a generic computer store built Targa AMD XP didnt have hardware that linux liked fullstop!)
    Needless to say I ended up getting a replacement laptop about 9 months after that, a good old Dell Inspiron 700m. This turns out to be very well supported in the linux world and so I returned to linux as an OS but this time I was put onto Warty.
    Ubuntu works well with my little Dell but despite constant attempts to fall in love with Gnome I just cant! I tried Kubuntu but it just isnt in the same league as my nice new install of openSUSE 10.2
    I have never had such a faultless installation in the short time I have been mucking around with linux. I read that some people were having problems with the 2200 version wireless card...not me.
    My native resolution (1280x800) was configured by default (something that Ubuntu is YET to do despite constant requests from many people for it to do so!)
    On the whole Suse is a far more polished distro the I would probably recommend it to someone who wants to try linux for the first time over Ubuntu, but having said that Ubuntu is coming along in leaps and bounds, just a shame that the KDE side of things leave a lot to be desired at this point in time IMO. I will continue to delve into Ubuntu as I believe there is a lot of potential there and Suse has been around for a lot longer and I find that with a distro like Ubuntu (or Arch my other distro I choose to play around with!) I learn a LOT more about linux as an OS than just installing something and it just works ala Windows! For everyday usage though as I also need to run my business from my laptop I think I will have to stick with Suse as the main OS and use Ubuntu in a virtual machine.
    </my2cents>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I really must get the SuSe 10.2 CD set and try it. I assume the dial-up still works as well as it did back in 9.x versions. Once, SuSe even configured a Winmodem I had, automatically. I think it was an Intel or AT&T chipset from the late 1990's. No other Linux distro has ever done that for me.

As long as I can make my external serial modem work, I'm happy. KPPP is my most essential app and I run it from Gnome in Ubuntu Edgy. I don't like the uncontrollable (always on) default networking setup of Edgy which I had to configure manually anyway for dial-up and network apps like the firewall still didn't see my connection or my modem. I understand Dapper and Edgy really broke dial-up networking. I don't expect it to be fixed in Feisty or later so I'll probably go with SuSe as my next distro when I break Ubuntu beyond repair. I haven't been able to screw it up yet, but I've held off trying Beryl.

I miss the tiny plug icon in the tray that lets me do all my dial-up networking and configuration from one context menu. I think SuSe added even more stuff to it than basic KDE because I haven't seen it work quite the same on any other distro. Initial setup or making adjustments in Yast is very easy as well.

I hope Kubuntu eventually becomes the best Ubuntu package, but they have a very long way to go.
    su d'oh!_____
    Adults read and write, children look at the pictures; adults can use the terminal, children only use the menus. Linux Cmds

Beans
    Hidden!

I initially tried OpenSuse 10.2 with default KDE which I hate btw. I found OpenSuse's KDE better than (K)Ubuntu's offering. Haven't tried GNOME is SuSE though.

Ubuntu is getting the control center in Feisty, now if I can just get Ubuntu developers to loose the nasty BROWN, add a programs menu like in SuSE (no the USP doesn't cut it for me) and few touch ups here and there and I think I be willing to stay with Ubuntu.

Overall I really like OpenSuSE 10.2 my first and favorite Linux distro...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Nemix77 View Post
    I initially tried OpenSuse 10.2 with default KDE which I hate btw. I found OpenSuse's KDE better than (K)Ubuntu's offering. Haven't tried GNOME is SuSE though.

Ubuntu is getting the control center in Feisty, now if I can just get Ubuntu developers to loose the nasty BROWN, add a programs menu like in SuSE (no the USP doesn't cut it for me) and few touch ups here and there and I think I be willing to stay with Ubuntu.

Overall I really like OpenSuSE 10.2 my first and favorite Linux distro...
    What's wrong with the apps menu, the location? I really like the Tan theme. Blue is so overused and hard on my eyes. I can't even focus on those blue LED's in older Pioneer stereo equipment. Pastels are the way to go, even pale blue or green but tan is more appropriate to the African theme since that is the predominant color I saw in Southern Africa. Try System, Preferences, Theme, Glider for a nice blue theme.

I agree a control center like Yast would be a welcome addition to Ubuntu. Under the GUI, I have no preference. SuSe has always worked well on my equipment and so has Ubuntu.

What do you think of having to use sudo in Ubuntu to gain root privileges?
    su d'oh!_____

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FLPCGuy View Post
    What's wrong with the apps menu, the location? I really like the Tan theme. Blue is so overused and hard on my eyes. I can't even focus on those blue LED's in older Pioneer stereo equipment. Pastels are the way to go, even pale blue or green but tan is more appropriate to the African theme since that is the predominant color I saw in Southern Africa. Try System, Preferences, Theme, Glider for a nice blue theme.

I agree a control center like Yast would be a welcome addition to Ubuntu. Under the GUI, I have no preference. SuSe has always worked well on my equipment and so has Ubuntu.

What do you think of having to use sudo in Ubuntu to gain root privileges?
    Control center is nothing like yast. Yast is a set of tools made specifically by Suse that are different than the gnome control apps. Control center (which is no longer the default on fiesty, many people didn't like it so they changed back) is just a conglomeration of what is already in the system menu. It doesn't really add anything else.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

I used SUSE 9 and considering that I did not have a choice I 'liked it'. However once I knew other distros (Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora, PCLOS) I completely discarded it as an option for me.
    It has outdated software and less hardware support than other distros. For example I loaded SUSE 10.1 in my new laptop and it did not even recognize my sound card! The GNOME version included was very old and it was very slow.

I would have given the next version of SUSE a shot but...considering Novell & Microsoft deal it is completely discarded.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Control center is nothing like yast. Yast is a set of tools made specifically by Suse that are different than the gnome control apps. Control center (which is no longer the default on fiesty, many people didn't like it so they changed back) is just a conglomeration of what is already in the system menu. It doesn't really add anything else.
    Really, I was really looking forward to the control center in Feisty.

Any one testing Opensuse 10.3 alpha 1...

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast