Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor that Microsoft is buying Canonical and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Rumor that Microsoft is buying Canonical and Ubuntu

I think it's a BS rumor, but it's still an interesting read. And these updates to the story are kind of funny, too.

UPDATE (10/02/2015 11:09a ET): To placate some of the critics out there we contacted both Canonical and Microsoft press representatives for a statement. Both have responded asking for some time to give us a proper statement. We await their next response and will update this post when we get it.

UPDATE (10/02/2015 11:20a ET): Microsoft’s “official” response to us was this: “Microsoft declines to comment as they do not comment on rumors or speculation.” -Microsoft Spokesperson

UPDATE (10/02/2015 12:32a ET): Canonical spokesperson Jane Silber responded to our request with the following statement. “Your sources are wrong; there are no such discussions.”
    http://techaeris.com/2015/10/01/sour...nd-the-rumors/
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Rumor that Microsoft is buying Canonical and Ubuntu

I put my hip waders on in the middle of the first paragraph.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I like the author's reply in response to a "Not gonna happen" comment:
    You could be 100% right, we can only go by what our sources have told us and we’re not entirely sure it’s valid. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

I read the article earlier today before the updates. Obviously, Canonical debunked it with their reply. But I thought Microsoft's reply was interesting. It makes me wonder if MS really wanted to do it, but Canonical wasn't having it.

Even though it's not happening, it made me think about some things, and maybe some of you guys can put in your thoughts. Let's just say they did sell to MS. I wonder how much leeway they would have to change things up. I wonder how things would work with the Ubuntu Foundation. It's supposed to be an emergency fund so that the Ubuntu Project can still be run by the community in the event that Canonical withdraws its support at some point. It just seems to me that a sale like this couldn't just take place because the Ubuntu Project is larger than Canonical. I can see how Canonical itself could be bought out, but it seems like if that happened, MS wouldn't have full control over the Ubuntu Project. They could really put the hurt on it, though.

I know it's hypothetical, but it's an interesting discussion, anyway.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm leveraging my immense personal debt to buy Apple so I can kill off OS X and start selling Macs running Debian Stable with XFCE like everyone really wants.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I'm leveraging my immense personal debt to buy Apple so I can kill off OS X and start selling Macs running Debian Stable with XFCE like everyone really wants.
    How much will they cost?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And there was I thinking that the share price of my Canonical shares was about to go sky-high.

Microsoft denies it. Canonical denies it. Therefore, it must be true. Is that not the normal reasoning by a certain kind of person?

Why buy something that you can get for free? There are plenty of Ubuntu derivatives out there where people have forked the code. There is nothing to stop Microsoft from downloading the source code. The article mentions Microsoft's Azure Cloud Switch. Did Microsoft buy the Linux source code that Azure Cloud Switch is built on? I rest my case.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    And there was I thinking that the share price of my Canonical shares was about to go sky-high.

Microsoft denies it. Canonical denies it. Therefore, it must be true. Is that not the normal reasoning by a certain kind of person?

Why buy something that you can get for free? There are plenty of Ubuntu derivatives out there where people have forked the code. There is nothing to stop Microsoft from downloading the source code. The article mentions Microsoft's Azure Cloud Switch. Did Microsoft buy the Linux source code that Azure Cloud Switch is built on? I rest my case.

Regards.
    Well, they claim Microsoft has already created its own in-house version of Linux. I wonder what the purpose of that is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Microsoft neither denies or validates it. It ''does not comment on rumors and speculation''.

It might not be true, but then we don't really know, do we? It's not unusual for businesses to deny or dismiss that such talks have taken place. Canonical has the most to loose here because if such (hypothetical) negotiations are unconclusive in the end, they surely do not want to project the impression of a compagny in trouble..

The thing is that Canonical is starting to fit very well in Microsoft's new approach to the IT world. That's usually when the prospect of a takeover is raised.
    Last edited by night_sky2; October 3rd, 2015 at 08:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Blurb about the author
    Code:
    ...I'm a graduate of DeVry University with a B.S. in Computer....
    Pretty sure I know what the B.S. stands for.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast