Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Gnome] How do I sort images by date taken? Yes, I could boot Windows and do it ...

Beans

[Gnome] How do I sort images by date taken? Yes, I could boot Windows and do it ...

... but I prefer Linux.

When I copy images from my phone to PC, the date changes to time of the copying. How do I sort images so, that I can select them by which month they were taken?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [Gnome] How do I sort images by date taken? Yes, I could boot Windows and do it .

My images usually have either a timestamp in the filename or a sequence number in the filename which if sorted alphabetically will keep the order that the photos were taken.

If that is NOT the situation, you'll need to use the exif data. Check the dates using something like exiftool. Or you can load shotwell (or the 10 other photo management tools for Linux) and let them do this for you. f-spot,
    http://itsfoss.com/image-applications-ubuntu-linux/ has some.
    http://lifehacker.com/5877908/the-be...-app-for-linux has some more options.

I just let my photo web-app handle it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [Gnome] How do I sort images by date taken? Yes, I could boot Windows and do it .

Any chance the camera settings can be adjusted to put a timestamp in the filenames it creates?

Default filenames coming out of cameras tend to be pretty useless, in my experience.

Beans
    Hidden!

And there is always View by Modification Date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    exiftool *jpg|grep -Ei 'Original|File Name'
    So it wouldn't be too hard to rename the existing filenames to have the yyyymmdd-hhmmss-original_filename.ext.

Just sayin'.

Plus it is a best practice to store photos in yyyy/mm/event/ directory structures, so the photos will always be within a day if they are in the same directory. Nothing matters more than the date of a photo for most people. Followed by location and subjects.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Code:
    exiftool *jpg|grep -Ei 'Original|File Name'
    I will use that.

I'm lazily working out a lazy person's workflow that avoids app-specific catalogs, tags, and such. A filename can be used to contain a lot of info if you devise a useful format and discipline yourself to adhere to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

http://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/01/05/tip...e-and-archival - step 6 is the gist of what I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks. Appreciate that.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    This certainly makes the most sense!
    Thanks for the detailed link much Appreciated.

Beans

Re: How do I sort images by date taken? Yes, I could boot Windows and do it ...

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Any chance the camera settings can be adjusted to put a timestamp in the filenames it creates?
    Pics and videos taken by different devices, also screenshots etc. I also want to handle old pictures sometimes, so this does not help.

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    And there is always View by Modification Date.
    Modification date is the time, when I moved the pics from camera to PC, not time when picture taken.

Thanks guys for the other options, I'm looking those up. Also looking for a way to integrate exif data to say Nautilus, or some other filemanager.
    Last edited by howefield; October 2nd, 2015 at 04:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast