Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - enabling special keys

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - enabling special keys

abid_naqvi83, thanks a lot for this tutorial! It worked flawlessly for me, finally after almost half a year of using Ergo 4000 i can use Zoom key! You rock!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi all,

I'm currently running Ubuntu Natty. I recently picked up one of these keyboards at our local discount office supply store, and I was delighted to find that almost everything, including the back and forward keys, just worked. Additionally, the Web/Home, Search, Mail, My Favorites, and Calculator keys were easily re-mapped using 'Keyboard Shortcuts." That left the five shortcut keys and the zoom joystick. Being a tinkerer at heart, I had to get everything working, including actually making the zoom joystick zoom in and out. Here's how I did it: (many thanks to abid_naqvi83 for the tips and tools to figure it out!)

1. Install a few packages:
    Code:
    sud apt-get install xbindkeys xautomation
    (I use xte, from the xautomation package, rather than xdotool. I couldn't get zooming to work with xdotool.)

2. Tell udev to load a corrected keymap:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules
    I added this, right below LABEL="keyboard_usbcheck"
    Code:
    # Microsoft 4000 Natural Keyboard
    ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="Microsof*", ATTRS{name}=="*", RUN+="keymap $name microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard"
    Save it and close gedit.

Then, create the keymap file:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /lib/udev/keymaps/microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard
    Paste this into gedit:
    Code:
    0xC022D 0xC1 # Zoom In
    0xC022E 0xC2 # Zoom Out
    Save it and close gedit.

3. Set up your custom keybindings:
    Code:
    gedit ~/.xbindkeysrc
    Paste this into gedit:
    Code:
    ## This keybindings file is intended for a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000.
    ## Using it requires installing xbindkeys and xautomation. Enabling the zoom joystick
    ## also requires some udev keymap magic.

# Zoom in and out
    "xte 'keydown Control_L' 'mouseclick 4' 'keyup Control_L'"
    c:201 + Release
    "xte 'keydown Control_L' 'mouseclick 5' 'keyup Control_L'"
    c:202 + Release

## Shortcut keys 1-5 (edit these to perform your desired action)

# Shortcut no. 1
    "nautilus"
    c:192

# Shortcut no. 2
    "firefox"
    c:193

# Shortcut no. 3
    "libreoffice"
    c:194

# Shortcut no. 4
    "gedit"
    c:195

#Shortcut no. 5
    "totem"
    c:196
    Save it and close gedit.

4. Add xbindkeys to your autostart programs list, then reboot.
    (Or, load the keymap as described by abid_naqvi83 in his guide. Then run xbindkeys.)

For more info and troubleshooting tips, please see the full guide here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=178
    Last edited by trulan; November 22nd, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

It's not that I'm anti-social, but the voices in my head won't even talk to me anymore...

Beans

Hi - I realize this is entirely the wrong board to raise this question on. However I am desperate, and this is a relevant and active thread.

I'm trying to switch the function of the zoom rocker to scroll on a Mac. I know there are easily implemented solutions for PC and it seems like you've got it down for Linux, but no one has come up with a fix for Mac users. (I also realize that may have a lot to do with the inherent drawbacks of our platform.)

So far I've gotten no further than locating the keyboardlayout bundle in my Library and popping open the "US Intl - Microsoft" layout as a likely target for modification. But I have a feeling I'm a ways off and might not even be on the right track at all.

Would so much appreciate if anyone's able to point me in the right direction! Thanks.

Beans

Thanks to abid_naqvi83 as well! After few years having this keyboard I finally managed to make the zoom slider work.

But anyway, going through the /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules file, I realized there was already line
    ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="Microsoft", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="00db", RUN+="keymap $name 0xc022d zoomin 0xc022e zoomout"
    which I don't really understand, but I guess that 'someone' has already made another attempt to work this keys by default. Unfortunately I don't know how

m.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Indeed, it seems that in Oneiric there was some attempt made at supporting this keyboard. When I upgraded my system a few weeks ago, that of course made the zoom slider quit working. I changed that line to read
    Code:
    ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="Microsoft", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="00db", RUN+="keymap $name microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard"
    and now it works again.

It's not that I'm anti-social, but the voices in my head won't even talk to me anymore...

Beans

Arrow Re: HOWTO: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - enabling special keys

Thanks everyone for your help! I found this thread and it helped me to get the keyboard (esp. the zoom slider) to work on Ubuntu 12.04 in almost no time.

I put condensed instructions on how to do it on my blog: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 with Mac OS X and Linux.

Beans

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for helping get the keys working Big up to abid_naqvi83

Beans

Hey, thanks a lot!
    Works like a charm!

Beans

This worked great for me on my first MS Ergo 4000 keyboard. But unfortunately, I got a second MS Ergo 4000 keyboard which I ended up keeping that made the scroll UP stop working. Both keyboards looks identical, but the model number is slightly different. I think my problem is with the last step on instructions:

"xdotool click 4" # Scroll Up
    c:201
    "xdotool click 5" # Scroll Down
    c:202

When I ran xev, I saw that scroll down was keycode 202. However, when I tried the scroll up key, it couldn't tell me the keycode:

FocusOut event, serial 41, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 41, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 41, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys: 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I then went to Keyboard Shortcuts (on 12.10) and tried to associate the scroll up or down key to some random action. When I did scroll down, it correctly detected that I pressed 0xca (202 in hex). But when I tried to scroll up, the value was "TouchpadOff". Does anyone have any clever ideas?? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Scroll Up key when pushed generates a keycode. It seems that the keycode is being "caught" by some other application and being converted in to a "TouchpadOff" signal before it can reach xev or xbindkeys.

I would suggest tracking down the application that is catching the scroll up keycode and fixing it there.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast