Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu vs linux mint

Beans

Re: ubuntu vs linux mint

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi2 View Post
    I tried Mint and it didn't last long because I didn't like Cinnamon nor MATE. I do like Lubuntu and Ubuntu Studio though. Ubuntu Studio uses Xfce, so I'd probably like Xubuntu also.
    But anyways, tgalati4
    summed it up well.
    There is a Linux Mint Xfce. That's what I am using on this computer (version 17.2).

I find it smoother than Xubuntu 14.04 and it uses less RAM. Media codecs and Java are shipped by default. It has 5 years of support instead of 3.
    Last edited by night_sky2; September 17th, 2015 at 05:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Longer support and less configuration (because common things are already installed) are one of many reasons to use Linux Mint. Search for "10 things to do after installing Ubuntu" and you will find Mint already has most of them done.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Longer support and less configuration (because common things are already installed) are one of many reasons to use Linux Mint. Search for "10 things to do after installing Ubuntu" and you will find Mint already has most of them done.
    And stability.

Since the Linux mint team now ONLY use Ubuntu LTS as a base for new releases, they can focus on improving the Mint components and polishing the OS for a better user experience.
    Last edited by night_sky2; September 17th, 2015 at 05:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

For the OP, Linux Mint might be the better choice, seems to me. Mint's certainly an excellent distro.

For personal use, I prefer Ubuntu over Mint. I use either Unity or GNOME Shell in Ubuntu and prefer those over Cinnamon (MATE doesn't appeal to me at all). And for keeping the system updated, I prefer to use Synaptic, which is not altered in Ubuntu like it is in Mint. In Mint, I think it's best for users to rely on MintUpdate and the Levels system, and while that approach works out perfectly fine (in my experience), I don't care for it and don't feel that I need that extra, um, "hand-holding."

I ran Mint along with Ubuntu for some years back before Unity and Cinnamon, then dropped Mint some time after the "Isadora" (Linux Mint 9) release, although since then I've continued to look in on Mint by trying out live sessions of more recent releases. I do like LMDE 2, which I had running here on one computer for awhile, but I later replaced LMDE 2 with an antiX/Lubuntu dual-boot set-up.

Beans

ubuntu 14.04 vs linu mint 17.2

Ubuntu 14.04 or Linux mint cinnamon 17.2 general everyday desktop computer use.

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ubuntu 14.04 vs linu mint 17.2

Try them live!

Try them installed side by side, if you still cannot decide!

Only you know what works best in your computer and for you, and it is easy to test and compare

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If I had to choose between Unity and Cinnamon, I'd go with Cinnamon. But I think Cinnamon is also available unofficially for Ubuntu, and both Xfce and KDE (which are shared among both distros) can offer similar experiences. Beyond that, I don't see enough meaningful difference.

Really, the primary reason I'm on Ubuntu rather than Mint is that Mint's default aesthetics severely hurt my eyes, and I don't know what the exact problem is. I think it might be the mint color scheme, but I'm not sure and don't feel like going through that pain again without fully knowing if the changes will work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Ubuntu 14.04 or Linux mint cinnamon 17.2 general everyday desktop computer use.

thanks
    I've merged this thread with your previous one as they revolve pretty much about the same.

Any computer is only as 'secure' as the nut behind the keyboard.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

I have forgotten that I had already posted about this before from the last person that i helped migrate to Linux.
    Last edited by poorguy; October 31st, 2015 at 04:33 AM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast