Thread: nm-applet wifi not working? or user error?

Beans

nm-applet wifi not working? or user error?

hi. I have nm-applet to connect to wifi. Sometimes it detects the wifi, sometimes not. about 50/50 every time I click on it, I roll the dice. When it does see networks, I click on one , it asks for an "encryption key" which I take to mean the password. Type in password, and it doesn't work. No wifi connection successful. Is it me?

Beans

Re: nm-applet wifi not working? or user error?

Thread moved to the "Networking & Wireless" forum for better support.

Beans

are there other wifi applications to use instead?

Beans

I will tell you what I did, so that this may be of some help to others. Yes, it seems that "encryption key" when it comes to wifi is the same thing as your wireless password. Words. They sometimes get in the way. I did a search for "the best" or other wifi network/manager tools for linux/lubuntu/ubuntu. Came across a good list, and then installed anything from the list I could using synaptic (usually use command line) or looked to for the tarball on the internet to install from source.

Among the things I installed was WICD. For my setup at least, (netbook now running lubuntu 14.04) WICD works for wi-fi, vs. the default, which doesn't. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to work for all my wireless networks. But it at least works for one of them. I will try the other things I installed, as well.

Beans

I also had this problem with nm-applet but was able to connect with a line in the Terminal as below:

sudo nmcli dev wifi connect yournetworkssid password yourwifipassword
    Last edited by nknwn; September 12th, 2015 at 11:33 PM.

Beans

Re: How to stop pop up bar for google search?

very strange. Someone went into my post and completely changed it to something nonsensical. and it also says last edited by howefield, but i can't imagine an administrator doing that.
    Last edited by bowie101; September 15th, 2015 at 09:58 AM.

Beans

nm-applet is reliable on this laptop since I upgraded to: Lubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
    The icon is on the tray by default.
    I entered the WIFI password once and have not needed to enter it since.

Beans

I have to assume that if I install lubuntu 14.04 from a pen drive, and then do my aptitude update and aptitude upgrade and accept everything, that would get me to where you are, Lubuntu 14.04.3, or even more current when that time comes. yes? question answered -

" aptitude -y -s safe-upgrade "
    Last edited by bowie101; September 15th, 2015 at 10:36 PM.

Beans

That should work but I'm running 14.04.3 from a pen drive. So it's up to you to blaze the trail

Beans

yes. indeed, i seem to be up to date. As the days pass, your terminal command is working more and more. I sure as hell don't know what is different, from one day to the next, but yet, it works more and more.