Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to uninstall Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: How to uninstall Ubuntu?

Well, if you installed Ubuntu on top of your Windows 10 and don't have the backup disk, you will need your product key to reinstall Windows 10. Download the W10 .iso file from the Microsoft (spasm) website, then burn it on a DVD or a USB drive, then install with the product key. This won't work unless you have the product key. And if you don't have the key, and you don't have another operating system, why would you delete a perfectly capable one such as 'Buntu?
    EDIT:
    Sorry, I know this doesn't really answer the question, but why uninstall the OS for nothing?

Beans

Where or what is gparted and how do you use it?

Beans

No help whatsoever to us non tech folks. I have gparted but have no idea what I'm looking at. I have all kind of partitions and dva 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 etc. I see one that says OS and one that says Linux. I tried to set up a WIN10 recovery but it won't run from the thumb drive.

Beans

this is what my gparted shows
    /dev/sda1 NTFS SYSTEM
    unallocated
    /dev/sda2 ! NTFS OS
    /dev/sda3 extended
    /dev/sda5 NTFS /media/7d8d876643FF49BA
    /dev/sda6 ext 4
    unallocated
    /dev/sda7 linux swap
    /dev/sda4 NTFS HP Recovery

now what do I delete??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please use code tags for terminal output. See last link in my signature.

As mentioned, you're EXT partitions are the Linux ones. Right click, unmount and delete /dev/sda6 and sda7. I have mentioned already these are the Linux partitions and Windows doesn't have a clue about EXT partitions.

Beans

Your best bet is to just insert the W10 disc and boot from that. You can just wipe your drive again (I don't think W10 has a problem with wiping competing operating systems) and reinstall W10. Although I beg you to stick with Ubuntu. We don't want to spread the word of the devil.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chemist931 View Post
    Your best bet is to just insert the W10 disc and boot from that. You can just wipe your drive again (I don't think W10 has a problem with wiping competing operating systems) and reinstall W10. Although I beg you to stick with Ubuntu. We don't want to spread the word of the devil.
    Have you read my previous posts? Win will get stuck trying to remove the EXT partitions as it doesn't know what they are. You must delete them by booting from the Ubuntu live install media and using Gparted or another Linux software.

Best to read at least a few posts rather than just the first.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 23rd, 2015 at 04:14 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12