Thread: Displaying fractions correctly

Beans

Displaying fractions correctly

Is there a way to auto format all fractions to a single spaced character in the way that 1/2 and 1/4 are system wide (I am using cinnamon if that makes a difference)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Displaying fractions correctly

Programs that are not plain text (like word processors) may automatically convert 1/4 to ¼, 1/2 to ½, and 3/4 to ¾, but that is because there are single character codes for those fractions. To somewhat simulate that for other fractions you would need something that could put together a superscript, slash, and subscript with dynamic character spacing (kerning?).
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Perhaps LaTeX does approximately what you need? It wouldn't be "system wide" but LaTeX has been integrated into lots of things. What applications do you need this in? If it is in LibreOffice then there is an extension called TexMaths which lets you use LaTeX within LibreOffice.

Beans

Thanks everyone libreoffice was my main concern.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just one further comment. What TexMath will produce in your libreoffice documents will not be single spaced characters like you initially wanted. It produces the LaTeX output as little graphics files (.png or .svg format?) which you can then resize if you wish.