Thread: Meizu impressions two months on

Beans

Exclamation Meizu impressions two months on

I've had my Meizu phone a couple of months now, and have to say I love it. I am forgiving the fact that GPS isn't there, yet, and it is alpha/beta software. It has taken a long time to get the hang of navigation, but now that I have I find it really easy to get to where I want when I need to, even though the edge swipes are too finicky.

My biggest gripe is that the default application is rubbish. I'm not going to be subtle or elucidate, it's just rubbish. Given a choice I would completely un-install it from my phone and use the dialler as the default app. Or better still, I'd prefer to see an empty screen with my nice wallpaper on it, the unity bar visible up the side, and if I hit the big red Ubuntu button I'd like an old-fashioned menu which allowed me to explore the phone through a hierarchy of lists.

In a similar vein, when I light the screen up, I'd like to see a large clock and the sign-in keypad. Having to swipe the start-up screen away to get to the sign-in is a waste of time.

Anyway, I'm working on my first app which I hope to get in the store soon, and am keeping the phone on as my main comms device (I keep an Android in the glove-box for when I need sat-nav in the car). I'm hoping I'll be able to find time to make my own clean build of the operating system, and then maybe I can address some of my concerns above in my own space.

Would love to know people's reactions to these comments (I'm not precious about them, feel free to shoot them down...). I know I've attacked some peoples' babies, but I hope being honest about this is useful.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Meizu impressions two months on

Quote Originally Posted by dale17 View Post
    I've had my Meizu phone a couple of months now, and have to say I love it. I am forgiving the fact that GPS isn't there, yet, and it is alpha/beta software.
    Some time ago I posted that I hoped that the next mobile phone that I would purchase would be an "Ubuntu Phone". With everything that I've recently read I fear that I may well purchase yet another Samsung Android or perhaps even an iPhone.

I accept that I might not be an average phone user as I don't make a lot of calls or send dozens of text messages each day but I do want or need my phone to be able to do what my PC at home can do even if with limited functionality. I need to be able to read these forums, read my e-mail, ssh into any of my home PCs or VPSs, log into my IRC session wherever it currently might be, purchase travel tickets which are only available to Android, iPhone or Windows users and generally carry on my "home" usage of my PC in a mobile environment.

If the current release of the Ubuntu OS can't do all of the above then it's not currently or not yet for me.

However, it's still very early on in the development of the phone OS. Time will tell...
    Last edited by PaulW2U; September 5th, 2015 at 12:05 PM.