Thread: packages have unmet when try install apache2 server ?! + PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.17.14

Beans

Exclamation packages have unmet when try install apache2 server ?! + PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.17.14

i try to install Apache server but :

------------------

Code:
    sudo apt-get install apache2
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     apache2 : PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.17.14)
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    Last edited by QIII; September 3rd, 2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: code tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: packages have unmet when try install apache2 server ?! + PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.1

Hello!

Which release of Ubuntu are you using?

When was the last time you did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    or

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Please use code tags when posting text from the terminal:

1. If you are using the "Reply to Thread" button - highlight text and use the # button in the text box header. Alternatively, click the # button first, place your cursor between the code tags and type or paste your text.

2. If using "Quick Reply" then type [code] at the beginning and [/code] at the end. The square brackets are required.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: packages have unmet when try install apache2 server ?! + PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.1

Code:
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
    Release:    14.04
    Codename:    trusty

Beans

I did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    still the same

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by momaiaz View Post
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    apache2 : PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.17.14)
    Let's see what rmadison says about dpkg in 14.04:
    Code:
    $ rmadison dpkg
     dpkg | 1.17.5ubuntu5     | trusty           | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, powerpc, ppc64el
     dpkg | 1.17.5ubuntu5.4   | trusty-security  | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, powerpc, ppc64el
     dpkg | 1.17.5ubuntu5.4   | trusty-updates   | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, powerpc, ppc64el
    There's your problem.
    You seem to have tried to add non-Ubuntu software that demands a different (higher) version of dpkg than Ubuntu provides...but didn't provide the package itself...or the new package was not installable. That's called a version conflict and it falls under "you have requested an impossible situation" in the error message.

This is the risk you take when adding non-Ubuntu software.
    Happily, fixing the problem is not difficult.

My recommended solution is to remove the offending non-Ubuntu source, uninstall all software from that source, purge the packages in your cache from that source, rebuild your dpkg database without that source, and try to get back to a functioning package manager.

You will not be able to install or remove any packages, including security updates, until you repair your system.

It's not difficult to do, and it's a good learning experience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Let's see what rmadison says about dpkg in 14.04:
    Code:
    $ rmadison dpkg
     dpkg | 1.17.5ubuntu5     | trusty           | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, powerpc, ppc64el
     dpkg | 1.17.5ubuntu5.4   | trusty-security  | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, powerpc, ppc64el
     dpkg | 1.17.5ubuntu5.4   | trusty-updates   | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, powerpc, ppc64el
    There's your problem.
    You seem to have tried to add non-Ubuntu software that demands a different (higher) version of dpkg than Ubuntu provides...but didn't provide the package itself...or the new package was not installable. That's called a version conflict and it falls under "you have requested an impossible situation" in the error message.

This is the risk you take when adding non-Ubuntu software.
    Happily, fixing the problem is not difficult.

My recommended solution is to remove the offending non-Ubuntu source, uninstall all software from that source, purge the packages in your cache from that source, rebuild your dpkg database without that source, and try to get back to a functioning package manager.

You will not be able to install or remove any packages, including security updates, until you repair your system.

It's not difficult to do, and it's a good learning experience.
    Yes ,, i added some external resources ...

Her what i did to fix it ,, i remove all external resources and clean packages and cache ,,
    that not help << but i added kali sana resources of packages not security
    then update and install apache2 and it works fine

Beans

Her what i did to fix it ,, i remove all external resources and clean packages and cache ,,
    that not help << but i added kali sana resources of packages not security
    then update and install apache2 and it works fine
    I am happy you seems to be satisfied with the solution you found.
    Adding *more* non-Ubuntu software is usually not a recommended solution. It usually means your system is fragile, vulnerable to breakage from untested updates.
    Do keep regular backups of your server's data.

Beans

I am happy you seems to be satisfied with the solution you found.
    Adding *more* non-Ubuntu software is usually not a recommended solution. It usually means your system is fragile, vulnerable to breakage from untested updates.
    Do keep regular backups of your server's data.
    aha ,, do you have better solution ?? .. Please tell my in simple way ,, Thx

Beans

aha ,, do you have better solution ?? .. Please tell my in simple way ,, Thx
    See post #5.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    See post #5.
    Thank you ,,,