After two hours of searching I want to ask you guys for help.

I have set up a small machine with Ubuntu LTS 14.04 to use as an OpenTTD server (good fun) for a friend which he should be able to manage through his Win7 machine. Normally this just meant installing xRDP and use MSTSC on Windows to connect. This however does not work because Unity and xRDP don't seem to mix.

Searching several forums left me with some (in my opinion) rather laugahable options. Either install a different Windowmanager or use a commercial product like Teamviewer. Alternatively, using desktop sharing and ramming in some commands to disable encryption for desktop sharing (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233675) seemed like a great idea (not really) and ultimately did not work.

I might be a stuck up boring guy but no way am I changing my Windowmanager to run xRDP and I'm not going to use a commercial product other than Windows to set this up and this all just seems like a loss of functionality. These are merely workarounds and certainly no solutions. I know Ubuntu does not own the xRDP project.

Hopefully there is something for me to do but if I have to stick another two hours in to something that worked before I'd rather stick my time in something else.