Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggravating Scrollbar Behavior

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Aggravating Scrollbar Behavior

Hello All,

I have been using Ubuntu Gnome for some time now, and I really like the way Gnome Shell has developed. But there is one issue that has been bugging me for a while (not sure when it started). It involves the behavior of the scroll bar.

In every other environment I have ever used, when you click in the scroll bar below or above the 'thumb', the disply scrolls down or up one screenful. Indeed, that's what happens if you're using a 'native' Gnome app, such as gedit or nautilus. However, in Firefox and LibreOffice, two of the apps I spend the majority of my time in, it doesn't work that way.

If you click in the scroll bar below the thumb, the display scrolls to the position in the document/webpage corresponding to how far down below (or above) the thumb you've clicked. So if you want to scroll one screenful with the mouse, you basically have to drag the thumb (which is especially awkward in a large document/webpage, where a tiny drag results in major scrollage). Or use the mouse wheel to scroll.

It is aggravating to click on the scrollbar and have the display go rocketing off to points unknown. Is there any way to fix this? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative!

[edit: Should I perhaps post this in General Help?]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Aggravating Scrollbar Behavior

Yes.. I see that too. I wonder if it can be adjusted using gnome-tweak tool.

nope! It looks like it is a fixed feature. On the other distros there is that small radio button at the bottom and top of the scroll dialog slider that will 'slow scroll' when you click on it. gnome-desktop does not have that feature. Why? No idea. But good point you have brought up. Smooth scroll works so well I do not even think about it

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; August 29th, 2015 at 07:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm glad you see what I mean. It's not a show-stopper or anything, especially if I remember that's how it works. It's when I forget, and it goes zinging off to wherever, and then I have to find my place in the document. There must be a tweak somewhere, though I've gone through things with dconf-editor with a fine-toothed comb. Maybe someone knows the secret...

Beans
    Distro

It does the same thing in unity (as you described it with gnome-desktop) but with the exception that unity has those radio buttons on the scroll bar dialog area hence the slow-smooth scroll. I looked for a gizzmo but could find none.

Regards..

Beans

It appears related to the theme used. So if gnome-shell > ambiance, clicking anywhere in scroll bar goes 1 screen up or down.
    With adwaita theme it goes relative to clicked spot in scrollbar.
    (- at least in Firefox

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It appears related to the theme used. So if gnome-shell > ambiance, clicking anywhere in scroll bar goes 1 screen up or down.
    With adwaita theme it goes relative to clicked spot in scrollbar.
    (- at least in Firefox
    I am using that theme (default) and it is still jumpy - but then it is jumpy on all distros. Difference is that other distros have slider button on top and bottom of vertical scroll bar. Curious as to why gnome (running firefox) does not have this button.

Beans
    Distro

Well spotted! Ubuntu Gnome comes with a theme called 'Numix', and the effect is the same as with Ambance. Works for LibreOffice as well. It must be possible to tweak the Adwaita theme... I'm not very experienced with themes in Gnome, but if I have time later I'll poke around...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I am using that theme (default) and it is still jumpy - but then it is jumpy on all distros. Difference is that other distros have slider button on top and bottom of vertical scroll bar. Curious as to why gnome (running firefox) does not have this button.
    Same thing with LibreOffice...

Beans

It's been a while but last I checked adwaita was a 'compiled' scheme so any adjustments would have to be done in source (gnome-shell source iirc which can be a stretch at times

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It's been a while but last I checked adwaita was a 'compiled' scheme so any adjustments would have to be done in source (gnome-shell source iirc which can be a stretch at times
    Yes, I was poking around in /usr/share/themes, and it looks like the Adwaita folder just has a couple of placeholders. Maybe someone will make an Adwaita II with 'correct' scrollbar behavior. Maybe it's just time for me to learn about gtk-3 themes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast