Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Absent On HP Split 13x2 Laptop

Beans

Re: Battery Absent On HP Split 13x2 Laptop

Would that be the case if the battery had no charge?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by pearj2 View Post
    Would that be the case if the battery had no charge?
    If the battery has no charge, it should still be recognized through ACPI by any Linux distribution, unless it's completely dead and non-functional. I often worked with laptops with different battery issues and even if the ACPI monitor is not able to read the state of the battery, the laptop should not power down when removing the AC adapter.

Furthermore, I completely agree with the observation that if the laptop shuts down in BIOS, it means a hardware problem. Either somehow the battery got discharged and died completely or there is a hardware malfunction preventing the laptop from accessing the battery.

Does the BIOS actually see the battery or not at all?
    Do you have any means of removing the battery and testing on a different similar laptop?

Beans

I understand BIOS is prior to the OS load... I'm saying if the battery is totally dead (no charge), then wouldn't it still shut off if I removed the power?

The battery can not easily be removed. I only have this brick - no other brick to test on.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I understand BIOS is prior to the OS load... I'm saying if the battery is totally dead (no charge), then wouldn't it still shut off if I removed the power?

The battery can not easily be removed. I only have this brick - no other brick to test on.
    You are completely right . If the battery is discharged (dead or simply empty), the computer will naturally shut down once you detach the AC cable. Normally laptops shut down when the battery charge/load is around 5%. This much is reserved for safety measures (proper shutting down of the system, emptying cache, stopping drives, etc.). However, it is possible for the battery to charge, but not load, because it is no longer capable of storing charges. It will be recognized by the OS, it will be charged, but more complex acpi monitors will show maximum capacity as 0%.

I just read a bit about your laptop and it is more of a 2-in-1 or a tablet with a detachable keyboard. I am afraid that besides helpful advice I cannot offer much more .

Beans

I see you filed a bug report (you should post the link when you do that): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1487734

FWIW, it seems some other folks with a Split x2 product also have batteries that lived a short life: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-N...g/td-p/4820156

Beans

Yep, filled out a bug report - but it's not getting any activity... What do I have to add to the report to have some one look at it?

Yes - it's a "2 in 1" type thing. (Monitor becomes a tablet).

I was going to try putting w7 on it to see if the battery was recognized. From there I may request a copy of w8 that came with it, then try to resinstall that to see if the battery works. If no, then there's a problem with the battery, and I'll have to contact HP.

Beans

What do I have to add to the report to have some one look at it?
    There's no magic incantation. The ratio of people helping on bug reports to the number of bug reports filed is very low. As the bot points out, attach logs using the command:
    Code:
    apport-collect 1487734
    (and then set the status back to 'New')

It would also help if you confirmed that the battery works on Windows (i.e. isn't defective hardware) and/or tried the latest upstream kernel to make sure it isn't a kernel bug that's been fixed already:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...-rc8-unstable/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12