Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 Stupendously Hot Charmander concept

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Stupendously Hot Charmander concept

I like your concept very much. The drop-down bubbles are refreshing, yet not distracting, and the tabs which stick out look actually better than tabs that fit in a window. Since Ubuntu has menu in the top panel I don't see any reason why to keep the navigation bar on top of each window either - good job removing it.

There are, however, a few things I'd change.
    - Since there is no border, which is great btw, I would keep the shading of app windows. That way the content of two apps wouldn't seem to merge.
    - I like more the current unity log screen.
    - Round icons (I know, Ubuntu had them for ages...) in the left panel look too much like Firefox OS, which I am not a fan of. I like this icon concept way better http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/u...-icon-requests.
    - The navigation buttons should stay on left.

Keep it up. I hope to see this theme in the next distribution.
    Last edited by pavl-va; November 7th, 2015 at 07:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Looks clean and neat to me. I might consider installing this when 16.04 comes along if it is available.
    Thanks
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by portalhavoc View Post
    The sign in page in the second picture looks way too much like Windows 10. Just a thought.
    The login screen may look like Windows 10, but that doesn't mean it is a bad thing either (I kinda like the Windows 10 login screen and some of their styling).

Quote Originally Posted by SKyPH3R View Post
    I think it looks clean and stylish which are both important. Functionality would be determined beyond the mock-up phase for sure. Aesthetically I'm not sure whether the spilled over tab would drive me nuts. It's still clever. I guess this isn't a universal menu friendly feature anyway. Keep on keeping on! : )
    I agree with your thoughts, including the spill-over-tabs.

If this was a packaged theme I may be willing to install it and give it a try. Right now I do use a flat icon set and wallch to change my wallpaper every so often and that is fine by me. The flat design doesn't bother me and when I was using Plasma 5 I kinda liked it.

Great thing is, there is the choice... you use what you like, I use what I like and everybody is happy and moves along...
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

This is an extremely refreshing design IMO, and something that would make me consider switching back from Xubuntu again, after having lived in exile for the last couple of years* Great job!

* Reason: I simply can't stand those "half-gloss" icons. Even worse, the way they fold away in the bottom like cheap "2D 3D" ... brrr ...
    Last edited by samuel-lampa; December 3rd, 2015 at 01:44 PM.

Beans

Interesting

However ...

Adobe Design Tools? Seriously?

Had you used the abundant and equally powerful linux design tools (sudo apt install ubuntustudio-graphics) I would totally endorse the concept.

Beans

That's a nice concept. But, I agree that it's looks like a rip off from windows 10. Maybe if you could redesign it more so it would like an Ubuntu with flat design (not a windows 10 rip off), I think it's fine to have an option to use one and to be able to choose it directly from setting menu on Ubuntu system. Ubuntu is open environtment, user always have an option to use or not to use. And everyone has the equal right to speak their own opinion, their idea, and their creativity. Through diversity, the community continues to grow.

Regards, and good luck.

Beans

I agree, opinions are welcome.
    I have a hard time however with the window 10 ripoff accusations. As if it were a bad thing ?

We have to admit that when it comes to UI, in terms of consistency, looks and ergonomics, both windows and mac are ahead.
    Now I am all for open source software, but I wish the Ubuntu community would actually consider accepting somes ideas, be it from microsoft or others.
    Also, please, how does using Adobe software represents a problem in the proposition here ?

Alternative: ignore windows as if it were the devil, but windows itself will not ignore the linux community; it has started a charm offensive and will take back some more hardcore users (bash, visual studio initiatives).

On the subject at hand: can we easily install the design on the new 16.04 ? That, I'll embrace wholeheartedly.
    Full disclosure: I want to stay on ubuntu and open source software. Please be more progressive when it comes to UI.

Beans

I love it! Quite similar to Window 10 in some way, like the opacity of options.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The OP wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by march08 View Post
    Any feedback is welcome.
    But has not logged in since August 21st 2015, only three days after joining the forum and posting this thread. There's not much point in any further necromancy of this thread.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123