Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 Stupendously Hot Charmander concept

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Stupendously Hot Charmander concept

The tabs...They go above the windows...They're driving me nuts!

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the flat, highly-colorful look that seems to be popular now, so the concept isn't really for me.

Beans

I agree with Graham, you should offer your work to Microsoft, your concept is not helping Ubuntu, it is taking it in a very very wrong direction. This concept is definitely not for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just checked it on Behance and I like it very much. This is something that most regular people are expecting with Unity 8. They want a bit of fresh new design, beacuse they do not understand the "code stuff".

- Background should be official one, looks great. I would like to get download link, if it's possible
    - The top panel is simple and fits in the new Ubuntu style for phones. Drop menu from top panel looks like elementary OS, so I would tweak it a bit. Maybe use darker colors insted of white...
    - Left launcher is perfect, the Ubuntu logo looks (again) like on Ubuntu Phone, so it makes it recognizeable.
    - Icons are truly Ubuntu if you ask me, and would disagree that they remind of Windows 10. Ubuntu had this kind of style of icons for ages, even though it wasn't used in the OS. Check this: http://design.ubuntu.com/downloads
    Orange circle with white symbol, it is Ubuntu. And thoose icons where and still are all over Ubuntu web site. Of course apps would use their color insted of orange, but the style is the same - plain color and white symbol and Ubuntu had it long before Windows 10. And they look totally cool
    - Launcher search is extra, it just feels and looks fast even though it is just a picture. And it makes much more sense this way - vertical, beacuse it is closer to Launcher so everything is near to that left side of screen.
    Yes it does look a bit like Windows 10, but if Microsoft can "borrow" convergence idea, why couldn't "borrow" search idea.

But I dislike login and window control placement.

The way current login looks on Unity 8 is better for me. It can contain more usefull inforamtions, and it just looks better. Try to combine that with your design.

The windows controls (max, min, close) should go left as they are now, beacuse everything about Ubuntu is on the left - launcher, search, app options, so window controls should also be there, so everything is near. Also that "titlebar with tabs" I would keep it darker, so it matches top panel color.

All in all it looks more that great, and I would love to see what would someone from Canonical say to this images.

Cheers!
    Last edited by NaneK; August 25th, 2015 at 12:24 PM.
    For some reason people keep sending me penguins.
    - Linus Torvalds

Beans

I would actually like the flat design IF it meant that Unity would require fewer graphics resources. As it is right now, I have a handful of machines that are so laggy on Ubuntu that they are not usable. I've tried Windows 10, and it actually runs better, I assume because Explorer 10 can adapt to machines with really low specs, and without looking like crap (Think Windows 7 basic theme versus aero). At least having the choice of a flat, low resource design would be a good thing, right?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ecopccare View Post
    I would actually like the flat design IF it meant that Unity would require fewer graphics resources. As it is right now, I have a handful of machines that are so laggy on Ubuntu that they are not usable. I've tried Windows 10, and it actually runs better, I assume because Explorer 10 can adapt to machines with really low specs, and without looking like crap (Think Windows 7 basic theme versus aero). At least having the choice of a flat, low resource design would be a good thing, right?
    I think you have problems with your graphic cards. Anything that can run Windows would have no problem running Ubuntu resource wise. Post a thread in the support forum.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ecopccare View Post
    It's too bad that people are thinking in technical terms here... it is not supposed to spare resources.

It's supposed to make this fashionable, modern, bold. Also more ergonomic. I wish people would comment on the graphical/ergonomics aspect of the post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I think you have problems with your graphic cards. Anything that can run Windows would have no problem running Ubuntu resource wise. Post a thread in the support forum.
    Agree 100% all Ubuntu versions have always worked on all my desktops and laptops till date. I've been using Ubuntu since the days when Intel Dual Core processors were the thing, and I remember back in those days 2 gigs of ram was considered pretty good. The first Desktop that I ever ran Ubuntu on had just that, 2 gigs of ram, Intel Dual Core, and inbuilt Intel graphics, I didn't have nvidia or amd graphics back then, because I remember gaming was a problem and I could only get the water and wobbly windows effects to work on Compiz.. But Ubuntu itself ran flawlessly, without any screen tearing or other graphical issues. I even ran Linux Mint without any problem on the same desktop.

I've had quite a few laptops after this, and all of them had good nvidia or amd graphics cards and 4 plus gigs of ram, with the latest Intel processors, needless to say, Ubuntu ran smoothly, without any issues.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, flat design is not for me. If Canonical does however employ the flat design, I wish they also make an option available to switch back to how Ubuntu has always looked for those of us who like it the way it is. Flat design is boring and it isn't innovation to do what everybody is doing. You can't get a windows machine to have those kick ass compiz effects, because windows is boring and lame and it makes me sleepy. I don't want my machine to look like the elegant and chic stores at a shopping mall.

Beans

it look beautiful to me, but it gives me the feeling of "too metro"

Beans

I think it looks clean and stylish which are both important. Functionality would be determined beyond the mock-up phase for sure. Aesthetically I'm not sure whether the spilled over tab would drive me nuts. It's still clever. I guess this isn't a universal menu friendly feature anyway. Keep on keeping on! : )

Beans

I still really appreciate your design.
    Any updates on that ? Have you kept on developing this, or having contacts with contributors ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast