Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we need Samba if networking ONLY Linux machines?

Beans

Re: Do we need Samba if networking ONLY Linux machines?

NFS is trivial to configure - one line in one file - vs Samba that has a 3 inch thick book. So the choice is obvious.

Apart from NFS, you can also use FTP, WebDAV, SSH, Netcat - a veritable zoo of ad hoc network methods. Usually, I don't bother with NFS even. I just run sshd on each machine, put the host names in the hosts file and copy files around with scp, either from the command line, or with Konqueror or Dolphin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Just wondering what this is based on. The debate continues. A lot more secure? Don't think so.
    Considering that NFS enforces the very same permissions as the rest of any *nix system, I don't think so either.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

NFS on a trusted network is fine.
    NFS on an untrusted network requires NFSv4 and Kerberos with auth and encryption.
    NFS over the Internet is just nuts.

Anyway, that's besides the point. If you trawl through the CVE database you will see both NFS and samba have had major security issues over the years. Most software has.

On my trusted LAN, I use both. Samba shares are exported ro and NFS share exported rw.

I use NFSv4 and Kerberos with auth only and I only set that up to really play with it. I wanted any machine and user able to access my NFS shares to be authenticated, not because I have any major security concerns but because I wanted to learn how to set a a KDC and admin server. I also wanted to set up a local DNS and NTP server and this sounded like a good coherent set of tasks to play around with.

Just chewing the cud here really

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Since this has become an NFS vs Samba argument I though I'd look at the original question again - in parts:
    Quote Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
    I always thought of Samba as a bridge from Linux to Windows.
    Samba ( their own in-house version ) is now the default file sharing mechanism in Apple's OSX replacing AFP. Together with Microsoft that constitutes 95% of the world's desktop systems. Since many Linux distros now install the samba server packages by default the number increases marginally from that. In addition Android can do it as well as iOS.
    What if there are NO Windows machines? Still need Samba?
    I guess it depends on the definition of "need". I personally believe that KDE is an over-engineered mess. Do I personally believe that the Linux ecosystem needs KDE? Absolutely not. My view is irrelevant however since KDE appears to be alive and well.

So does an all Linux network need Samba? No.
    Last edited by Morbius1; August 19th, 2015 at 04:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lots of good replies. I'm not familiar with NFS but I'll look into it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12