Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: mplayer with vaapi dead?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Beans
    9

    mplayer with vaapi dead?

    for years I used mplayer with vaapi support and was quite happy with the results.
    recently, i was forced to upgrade to 14.10 because the intel drivers require it.
    however, mplayer-vaapi PPA has not been updated past 14.04.

    i tried using mpv but have found playback glitches sometimes, it's not quite as reliable as good-old mplayer.

    is mplayer with vaapi dead? is there any way to get it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    17,337

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    mplayer-vaapi (from splitted-desktop) is as dead as they come.
    Ask mplayer to add vaapi support directly.. (2.5 years & counting

    Edit: you could maybe make use of libvdpau-va-gl1 instead which should work ok with mplayer, at least on Intel gpu's

    Ex. -
    Code:
    env VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau Videos/amostviolentyear-nowplaying_h1080p.mkv
    Code:
    MPlayer SVN-r37401 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
    Playing Videos/amostviolentyear-nowplaying_h1080p.mkv.
    libavformat version 56.33.101 (internal)
    libavformat file format detected.
    [lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
    [lavf] stream 1: audio (mp3), -aid 0
    VIDEO:  [H264]  1920x816  0bpp  23.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
    Clip info:
     encoder: libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1
     creation_time: 2015-07-25 01:59:35
    Load subtitles in Videos/
    [VS] Software VDPAU backend library initialized
    libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_38
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
    ==========================================================================
    Forced video codec: ffh264vdpau
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    libavcodec version 56.39.101 (internal)
    Selected video codec: [ffh264vdpau] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU))
    ==========================================================================
    ==========================================================================
    Opening audio decoder: [mpg123] MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III
    AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 32.0 kbit/2.27% (ratio: 4000->176400)
    Selected audio codec: [mpg123] afm: mpg123 (MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III)
    ==========================================================================
    AO: [pulse] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Starting playback...
    Movie-Aspect is 2.35:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    VO: [vdpau] 1920x816 => 1920x816 H.264 VDPAU acceleration 
    Movie-Aspect is 2.35:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    VO: [vdpau] 1920x816 => 1920x816 H.264 VDPAU acceleration
    Last edited by mc4man; August 3rd, 2015 at 02:33 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,768

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    libvdpau-va-gl as suggested above or use mpv which supports vaapi (I find it better than mplayer, maybe you need to get an up to date version)

    You can use libvdpau-va-gl automatically by adding
    Code:
    export VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl
    to /etc/environment
    and reboot.

    So you can use vdpau for flash as well, for example (if enabled)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 4th, 2015 at 02:52 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Beans
    9

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    Thanks guys. I tried installing libvdpau-va-gl from ppa http://ppa.webupd8.org/post/74056138...ailable-in-ppa
    but it was not available for 14.10 or newer, as required by intel drivers
    but i was able to compile it from source, the instructions on https://github.com/i-rinat/libvdpau-va-gl seem to work!
    but then mplayer still fails with this weird error:

    libva info: VA-API version 0.37.0
    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_37
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
    Forced video codec: ffh264vdpau
    Cannot find codec 'h264_vdpau' in libavcodec...
    Video decoder init failed for codecs.conf entry "ffh264vdpau".
    Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34363248.

    it seems to be just broken:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...v/+bug/1374825


    monkeybrain, i DID try mpv but it has a slight stutter, it drops a few frames about once a minute.
    mplayer *never* dropped.

    i will take it up with mpv, we might as well move forward fixing bugs instead of trying to revive the dead.

    thanks again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,768

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    Isn't 14.10 eol already? I would either do a fresh install of 15.04 or 14.04,--with updated driver from e.g oibaf's ppa. I have no issue with either but 14.10 was quite bad on my machine (tested for two weeks on an external drive and decided to stick with 14.04, then installed 15.04 later)

    P.s. mpv never has any problem here, on two different machines (Intel with vaapi and AMD with vdpau) and have used it for both 15.04 and 14.04. I used mplayer with the gecko-mediaplayer in 14.04 using libvdpau-va-gl, video and audio were out of sync after a while for some 1080p videos (no issues with mpv firefox addon with vaapi or vdpau-va-gl) But instead of installing from the repo (0.8?) I always get the latest from master.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 4th, 2015 at 03:46 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    17,337

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Isn't 14.10 eol already? I would either do a fresh install of 15.04 or 14.04,--with updated driver from e.g oibaf's ppa.
    It should be noted (& I recently got oibaf to make clear on ppa page) that his ppa is only for 14.04 or 14.04.1 image installs. 14.04.2/3/4/5 will fail miserably.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    17,337

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by spot-draves View Post
    Thanks guys. I tried installing libvdpau-va-gl from ppa http://ppa.webupd8.org/post/74056138...ailable-in-ppa
    but it was not available for 14.10 or newer, as required by intel drivers
    but i was able to compile it from source, the instructions on https://github.com/i-rinat/libvdpau-va-gl seem to work!
    but then mplayer still fails with this weird error:

    libva info: VA-API version 0.37.0
    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_37
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
    Forced video codec: ffh264vdpau
    Cannot find codec 'h264_vdpau' in libavcodec...
    Video decoder init failed for codecs.conf entry "ffh264vdpau".
    Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34363248.

    it seems to be just broken:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...v/+bug/1374825


    monkeybrain, i DID try mpv but it has a slight stutter, it drops a few frames about once a minute.
    mplayer *never* dropped.

    i will take it up with mpv, we might as well move forward fixing bugs instead of trying to revive the dead.

    thanks again.
    libav in 14.10 is borked -
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...v/+bug/1374825
    If you want a better mplayer in 14.10 (14.10 should be dead & buried) you may still be able to build or get a build from here with embedded ffmpeg. Whether 14.10 repos are still open to satisfy deps is unknown to me as I dumped 14.10 before release - it was that bad...
    https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archi...u/mplayer-test

    Better to do as suggested & either use 15.04 or 14.04.x

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    4,768

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It should be noted (& I recently got oibaf to make clear on ppa page) that his ppa is only for 14.04 or 14.04.1 image installs. 14.04.2/3/4/5 will fail miserably.
    Yes, same is true for xorg-edgers. I guess problem is the lts hardware enablement (I started with 14.04 image and added oibaf, then upgraded normally to 14.04.2 with no problem) But I am not able to find any download link for 14.04 or 14.04.1 in Ubuntu's download page, so OP probably have to go 15.04 (which is new enough for his hardware without oibaf)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    14,493

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    i will take it up with mpv, we might as well move forward fixing bugs instead of trying to revive the dead.
    That seems like the best idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    But I am not able to find any download link for 14.04 or 14.04.1 in Ubuntu's download page
    Older LTS point releases get moved to: http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Beans
    9

    Re: mplayer with vaapi dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I would either do a fresh install of 15.04 or 14.04
    unfortunately the intel drivers require 14.10: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...er-linux-1.1.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •