Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the most secure form of HDD encryption these days?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What is the most secure form of HDD encryption these days?

This sums it up nicely.
    Privacy? I don't have anything to hide.
    Glenn Greenwald: Why privacy matters Over the last 16 months, as I've debated this issue around the world, every single time somebody has said to me, "I don't really worry about invasions of privacy because I don't have anything to hide." I always say the same thing to them. I get out a pen, I write down my email address. I say, "Here's my email address. What I want you to do when you get home is email me the passwords to all of your email accounts, not just the nice, respectable work one in your name, but all of them, because I want to be able to just troll through what it is you're doing online, read what I want to read and publish whatever I find interesting. After all, if you're not a bad person, if you're doing nothing wrong, you should have nothing to hide." Not a single person has taken me up on that offer.

Glenn Greenwald in Why privacy matters - TED Talk

Beans

Hmm. So besides the addonics hardware encrypted HDD system, there isn't anything software wise that is secure any more? Bitlocker is out. So is Truecrypt it seems at this point. These were cross platform encryptions, but is there any encryption methods that are just unique to Ubuntu? I really want to get away from Windows as much as possible and I really want my personal data encrypted, private, protected & safe.

I've received my new HDD, so I would really like to transfer my data to it ASAP, but I know normally you have to put the encryption layer first before adding media.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To my knowledge, Ubuntu doesn't do anything proprietary with their encryption so any similarly featured Linux distro would be able to access those volumes with the appropriate knowledge applied to make it so. dm-crypt is dm-crypt, regardless of the linux used.

Beans

I wasn't aware of familiar with dm-crypt, I've since done some research since your post and want to go in this direction. Any good, updated walk-thrus for setting up dm-crypt/LUKS?

Beans

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12