Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu 15.04 on Mac Mini 2,1 with EFI boot (2007 Intel)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 15.04 on Mac Mini 2,1 with EFI boot (2007 Intel)

The method of moving a hard disc containing a complete operative system is also a good workaround if the computer neither boots from USB nor DVD.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

After a day trying to install Lubuntu 17.10 x64 on a spare Samsung 840 Pro 128GB used as a replacement, here's what worked for me:

1. Copy the installation iso on a flash drive.
    2. Copy the 32 bit efi file into /efi/boot.
    3. Hold Alt, boot on the flash drive.
    4. Select "Try Lubuntu".
    5. Change the resolution to something like 1280*1024.
    6. Zero the drive (sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda).
    7. Connect to an internet connection.
    8. Launch the installer, select « guided, use entire disk ».
    9. Select « Download updates during install ».

A few explanations:
    Apparently, rEFInd wasn't even necessary. Simply putting the 32 bit efi file in /efi/boot allowed me to boot on the flash drive.
    I had actually tried to boot through rEFInd before, but all I got was this series of errors (« Not Found from LocateDevicePath », among others).

The mac mini was really struggling with the native resolution of my only monitor at hand, which is 3440*1440.
    Actually, LXDE was the only usable desktop at that resolution.
    Gnome lagged like hell, Unity straight out crashed.
    So to prevent any funny behavior, I lowered the resolution as soon as I could boot on the installer.

On previous attempts, I got errors about the installer not being able to copy files on the drive, which is why I zeroed it. Might not be necessary.

Lastly, connecting to the internet and downloading the updates during installation was apparently a critical step.
    As stated in this askubuntu answer, that resolved the bootloader installation error.

After that, I was able to immediately boot on the newly installed OS without any issues.
    Last edited by vctls; January 1st, 2018 at 06:11 PM.

Beans

Hi guys, hope you could help me because I am going crazy!

I have a 2.0GHz Macbook late 2006 (MA700LL/A) with OSX 10.6 on, and I would like to install Lubuntu, so I can use this machine as a Plex Server.
    I need to boot from a USB Key but I tried and failed! After few days browsing, finally I found out the solution on this thread but I am not sure how to proceed.

I tried to boot Lubuntu 17.10 (LXDE) (64-bit Mac) – 921 MB from Matt Gadient's page
    My actual Macbook recognises the USB but I cannot boot from old Macbook. I reckon that is due to the 32-bit EFI but, even after I installed rREFit, I still fail!

As you know I am not an expert. Could you please help me to solve the problem?
    Is Lubuntu the best option for the Plex server?
    How do I copy the 32 bit efi file into /efi/boot without using Ubuntu VM?

Thank you so much for your help and time.

G.

Beans

Hi everyone,

I am beginner in Ubuntu and trying to install on a Mac Mini2,1, when I come to this step,
    sudo apt-get install mactel-boot hfsprogs gdisk grub-efi-ia32

it said cannot locate the the mactel-boot and hfsgprogs package, I am trying 14.04 and 16.04 desktop not server version, is it only available in server?

Also tried to use this boot-repair tools, but it said my version do not support but this blog said that it can fix the problem on Mac Mini, I confirm the model I have is Mac Mini2,1 but all the result is different from what I see on Internet and feeling frustrated.
    Last edited by doublek66; May 11th, 2018 at 09:56 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123