Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Firefox & Flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy Problems with Firefox & Flash

Using the Software Updater, I recently updated Firefox to v39 and Adobe Flash to v18.0.0.209. I am running on 64bit Ubuntu 14.04LTS.

Since upgrading I am continually having Firefox crash and displaying the automated crash report form. Must have sent about 50 of these in the past two weeks! When working, Firefox operates normally apart from in respect of its connection with Flash on a couple of streaming TV channels (UK Channel 4OD and Demand 5), with which I had no problems before upgrade. C4OD will not stream at all and 5OD displays the message "To view this page ensure that Adobe Flash Player version 15.0.0 or greater is installed. " !! Other channels such as You Tube, BBC and ITV stream normally.

I have tried re-installing Firefox with no improvement. I also find that the two channels mentioned have the same problem when using the Google Chrome browser. I have read about Pepper Flash but am a bit confused about whether one needs to uninstall Adobe Flash if you install it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Problems with Firefox & Flash

The current version of flashplayer for firefox is 11.2

flashplugin-nonfree (11.2.202.491ubuntu0.12.04.1) precise-security; urgency=medium

* New upstream release 11.2.202.491
    - debian/flashplugin-installer.{config,postinst},
    debian/post-download-hook: Updated version and sha256sum

-- Chris Coulson <chris.coulson@canonical.com> Wed, 15 Jul 2015 19:33:32 +0100
    This version is actually old, there are only security updates, because the owner of Flash does not provide any new version for linux (except the one that comes with Chrome if I understand it correctly). So if you need a newer version of flash, we cannot provide it for firefox.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Install pepperflashplugin-nonfree. You then need to check in Chrome or Chromium that it is using the right one. There's a heap of info online about how to do this. I don't use Chrome or pepperflash, so can't help there, but help is not far away.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca_D View Post
    I have read about Pepper Flash but am a bit confused about whether one needs to uninstall Adobe Flash if you install it.
    No, you can have both installed, as long as you choose "Never Activate" for one of them in Tools >Add-Ons so they don't conflict.

Another alternative is to use Pipelight to run the Windows version of FlashPlayer.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Channel 5 has recently "upgraded?" its system player
    https://help.channel5.com/hc/en-gb/a...ay-6-July-2015
    and as far as I'm aware it means it is no longer available to Linux users, or at least I can't get it to play on Firefox even using the freshplayerplugin, or chromium using pepperfplashplugin-nonfree.

Channel 4 is the same, unfortunately, and I think this is something that we are not likely to solve very easily. It used to play with no major problem apart from the need to install hal from the ppa http://ppa.launchpad.net/mjblenner/ppa-hal/ubuntu

As you say ITVplayer and BBCiPlayer both work fine as streaming apps

Thank goodness I can still get all these catch-up services via a Now-TV box which I have been using for a while now, and to which I have side-loaded a RARflix app to use with the plex-mediaserver that I have running on this desktop machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Channel 5 has recently "upgraded?" its system player
    https://help.channel5.com/hc/en-gb/a...ay-6-July-2015
    and as far as I'm aware it means it is no longer available to Linux users, or at least I can't get it to play on Firefox even using the freshplayerplugin, or chromium using pepperfplashplugin-nonfree.

Channel 4 is the same, unfortunately, and I think this is something that we are not likely to solve very easily. It used to play with no major problem apart from the need to install hal from the ppa http://ppa.launchpad.net/mjblenner/ppa-hal/ubuntu
    If you use freshplayerplugin hal will not work, it works only on system flash (11.2)

If hal + flash 11.2 doesn't work you have two options
    1) (Easy) use pipelight flash, the tricky part is how to switch between freshplayerplugin and pipelight-flash (it is not as smooth as freshplayer) You may want to checkout update-alternatives

2) use freshplayerplugin but instead of the pepper-flash non free package from Ubuntu or Chrome, extract libpepperflash.so from Chrome OS iso. https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplay...nown-issues.md (see DRM doesn't work)

But these are only workarounds which you shouldn't have to do. As a U.K taxpayer you and other British Linux users should write to the BBC and raise hell about it. You may get a sympathetic ears from MPs who recently supported ditching MS's format for ODF.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 24th, 2015 at 08:26 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    No, you can have both installed, as long as you choose "Never Activate" for one of them in Tools >Add-Ons so they don't conflict.
    It won't work, if more than one version of flashs are present the same setting (Ask to activate, always activate or never activate) applies to all. Firefox would automatically choose the highest version available. So a tricky situation would arise if one has both pepper flash via freshplayerpluin and pipelight flash since they have the same version. It is easy to disable pipelight flash but there is no built-in mechanism to disable freshplayerplugin, some kind of install/updtae alternatives tricks will be needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Imo the freshplayer plugin is really unstable using chrome's libpepperflash.so. I gave it a go and literally everytime I closed firefox a crash window would appear + the countless amount of times it would crash out of nowhere. Going back to adobes fixed it all.

Regarding the problem, im not sure why websites like that are throwing you erorrs about flash player's version. Have you tried completely removing/purging flash then reinstalling? I had this problem and this did it. If not - fresh player is the solution, but it will be unstable, and you will have to uninstall adobes one since they will conflict
    Last edited by Julind; July 25th, 2015 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Julind View Post
    Imo the freshplayer plugin is really unstable using chrome's libpepperflash.so. I gave it a go and literally everytime I closed firefox a crash window would appear + the countless amount of times it would crash out of nowhere. Going back to adobes fixed it all.
    Try disabling vaapi/vdpau/hwdec in freshplayerplugin's .config file. See my post #17 on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2285910&page=2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Try disabling vaapi/vdpau/hwdec in freshplayerplugin's .config file. See my post #17 on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2285910&page=2
    I agree with monkeybrain20122 about the need to disable vaapi and vdpau but I haven't disabled hwdec in my system and freshplayer works very smoothly. With vaapi and vdpau enabled it would make FF crash every time I used it.

You need to add a freshwrapper.conf file to your ~/.config folder. Here's mine which works fine on my hardware, Intel i5-3570K using HD4000 igp.
    Code:
    #Configuration options for FreshPlayerPlugin
    #
    # This configuration file is optional. Wrapper will search for it first
    # in ~/.config/freshwrapper.conf, then in /etc/freshwrapper.conf.
    # If wrapper fails to find configuration, it will use default values,
    # which you can find below

# Audio buffer is used to continuously provide sound adapter with data.
    # Values too low may lead to buffer underruns and stuttering.  Values
    # too high will lead to noticeable latency. Usually plugin selects size
    # on its own, but you may override bounds here

# lower bound for audio buffer size, in milliseconds
    audio_buffer_min_ms = 20

# higher bound of audio buffer size, in milliseconds
    audio_buffer_max_ms = 500

# output sound through JACK. If enabled, only JACK will be tried, and if
    # your machine doesn't have it, there would be no sound, and no sync
    audio_use_jack = 0

# Path to the Pepper Flash plugin.
    # If the option is absent, freshwrapper will search for Pepper Flash in
    # a number of location where it could be. Usually that's enough, but if
    # not, you should manually enter the right path. Multiple paths could
    # be specified, separated by colon.
    #pepperflash_path = "/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so"

# "Command-line" arguments for Flash
    flash_command_line = "enable_hw_video_decode=1,enable_stagevideo_auto=1"

# enable 3d and stage 3d
    enable_3d = 1

#enable_3d_transparent = 0

# enable hardware-accelerated video decoding. Requires 3d to really work
    enable_hwdec = 1

# when set to 1, limits output to warnings and errors only
    quiet = 0

# When multiple monitors with different resolutions are used, size
    # of fullscreen window can vary. But some Flash movies request these
    # parameters once at startup and rely on them to be correct. By default,
    # if zeros are used here, freshwrapper will select minimal width and
    # height across all monitors.
    fullscreen_width = 0
    fullscreen_height = 0

# Enables DNS query case randomization to partially protect against DNS
    # poisoning attacks. It was reported that some Mikrotik routers do not
    # support this trick. Set parameter to 0 if you have an affected model
    randomize_dns_case = 0

# scaling factor (floating point value) used to convert screen pixels
    # to device independent pixels. You may need it for displays with
    # high DPI
    device_scale = 1

# method org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.SimulateUserActivity() in KDE 5 seems
    # to have no effect unless GetSessionIdleTime() called afterwards. Set
    # parameter to 1 to call latter
    quirk_plasma5_screensaver = 0

# whenever to use windowed plugin mode
    enable_windowed_mode = 0

# whenever XEmbed used in windowed mode (if browser advertises its support)
    enable_xembed = 1

# if set to 1, fullscreen window will be kept always above browser, and hidden
    # from taskbar and pager
    tie_fullscreen_window_to_browser = 1

# enable using of VA-API for hardware accelerated video decoding
    enable_vaapi = 0

# enable using of VDPAU for hardware accelerated video decoding
    enable_vdpau = 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast