Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    222

    Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    or whatever these are called. BUT I am going to choose between a DELL model and a MacBook Pro 13". I need some advice as I've seen the model XPS M3000 and not sure if these are suitable for day2day use. I use MuseScore, LibreOffice as dedicated SW but all other work is done via browser (firefox, Chrome). I am giving up windows for good now. Any advice on the way to go much appreciated. I know this forum may provide biased views but please go ahead nd help if you can. Thanks.
    Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    3' from Hell
    Beans
    1,318

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    I think dell still has a couple with ubuntu pre installed. I have installed several releases on Dells and all have worked fine.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

    In service to the Dream

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    3,382
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    I think dell still has a couple with ubuntu pre installed. I have installed several releases on Dells and all have worked fine.
    +1
    Galiza Nação!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    403

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    Dell XPS 13 Developer's Edition (with Ubunu preinstalled): http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343...u/pd?ref=PD_OC

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Land of fire and drought
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    Quote Originally Posted by happyhacker View Post
    I know this forum may provide biased views ...
    And what has prompted that knowledge? What have any of us to gain or lose by you buying whatever hardware you want? We are here voluntarily and to help. All we're likely to tell you is what works best with Ubuntu.

    Dells are generally friendly. Know nothing about Macs apart from they can be tricky to install to from what I've read. We have a separate section here for Mac users if you go that way and get into trouble. Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 12th, 2015 at 05:36 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    11

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    I ordered a Dell xps 13 Develper edition last month. The order kept getting delayed till they settled on a delivery date a month out, so I lost my patience. Ordered the Windows version and intend to install Ubuntu myself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,929
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    Quote Originally Posted by SA6 View Post
    I ordered a Dell xps 13 Develper edition last month. The order kept getting delayed till they settled on a delivery date a month out, so I lost my patience. Ordered the Windows version and intend to install Ubuntu myself.
    Hmmm, keep delaying shipping until people that want to purchase them give up waiting and order Windows versions instead then stop selling machines with Ubuntu pre-installed because "nobody buys them". [/conspiracy-theorist]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    3,382
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Hmmm, keep delaying shipping until people that want to purchase them give up waiting and order Windows versions instead then stop selling machines with Ubuntu pre-installed because "nobody buys them". [/conspiracy-theorist]
    There are other factors but yes, it has a lot to do with demand (or lack of). Not exactly a conspiracy, it just has the appearance of one. At the end of the day it's just 'glitches' of a profit-driven economical system (AKA Capitalism). This economical system, however, can plausibly be constructed as a huge conspiracy of a small part of humankind (1% or less) against everybody else but that way beyond the scope of this forum.
    Galiza Nação!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Beans
    38

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and it has been a dream for Linux. Only one or two little issues which were easily solvable. I wouldn't spend the price premium on a Mac unless I was buying into the Apple ecosystem, certainly not if I was going to put Linux on it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    3,382
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_gibson2 View Post
    I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and it has been a dream for Linux. Only one or two little issues which were easily solvable. I wouldn't spend the price premium on a Mac unless I was buying into the Apple ecosystem, certainly not if I was going to put Linux on it.
    Agreed. 100% (actually 120%)... Unless you intend to dual boot thus ripping the benefits from both worlds in a usually very good hardware platform. However, that Apple hardware (and firmware and...) specificity can at times be way more challenging than regular PCs.
    Last edited by Vladlenin5000; July 12th, 2015 at 06:14 PM.
    Galiza Nação!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •