Thread: Dropbox not able to sync

Beans

Dropbox not able to sync

Hi folks
    I think I am experiencing a very weird issue.
    Since few days ago, after some update , my Dropbox application is not able to sync my files.
    The "dropbox icon"just "circle" a lot , without any change . So , I guessed that could be some problem
    to login. I stopped it .
    So , I tried login via browser right to Dropbox website. I tried to login and it did not work.
    I decided try day after, that could be an issue with Dropbox. Tried and did not work again.
    I tried using Firefox. Did not work.
    Then, I changed preferences to my Firefox and use the connection via proxy, via the University proxy I study.
    Then, it works.
    Back to Dropbox application. I did the same:set proxy to connection. It works fine.
    So, I have the same situation for the Outlook website (aka Hotmail) , that I am just able to login via Firefox , bypassed by a proxy.
    I had opened another thread in December for this (maybe it's time to see if some good soul provide me an answer for that) .
    It seems that something changed in Ubuntu regarding SSL or something like that. It makes Dropbox not able to login, BUT,the
    weird is : why am I able to login via proxy ?
    Could it be DNS ?
    Any ideas ?
    I use UBUNTU 14.04 LTS . From uname -a : Linux XXXXX 3.13.0-46-generic #79-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 10 20:06:50 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thanks in advance
    Last edited by tiger2000; June 16th, 2015 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dropbox not able to sync

I had the same problem, same flavor, after a recent update. I reinstalled via these instructions from dropbox.com tech support:

Run the following commands in your terminal:
         dropbox stop
         dropbox status  # Should report "not running"
         rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist
         rm -rf /var/lib/dropbox
         rm -rf ~/.dropbox*
         sudo apt-get remove nautilus-dropbox
         sudo apt-get remove dropbox
         rm /etc/apt/source.d/dropbox
    After this, you can download version 3.4.6 of Dropbox at your command prompt. Depending on your system, you'll need either the 32-bit or 64-bit installer files.
    32-bit installer:
    cd ~ && wget -O - "https://d1ilhw0800yew8." | tar xzf -
    64-bit installer:
    cd ~ && wget -O - "https://d1ilhw0800yew8." | tar xzf -
    Next, run the Dropbox daemon from the newly created .dropbox-dist folder to install the application:
    ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

When you use this method you do NOT install nautilus-dropbox via Synaptic: it remains unchecked.
    And you start Dropbox from terminal using above command. Just minimize the terminal.
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

ASUS PRIME Z690-A; 12th Gen Intel i3-12100 4100 MHz; RAM DDR5 4800 MHz; NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

Beans

Re: Dropbox not able to sync

It does not explain "why" I am not able to login to Dropbox website.