Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trash will not empty

Beans

Re: Trash will not empty

Hello, I am a new user on this forum, not new to Ubuntu, I am running 14.04 and have been for some time, my problem is as follows:

I have five empty folders in my trash folder, no matter what I have tried will don remove these folders, I have just tried the instructions on this thread using the terminal, nothing happened...this is not causing any problems other than bugging me... I can put other files in the trash and when I empty the trash they are gone, but these five will not go away.. any help is appreciated... also when I try and us the ls command in the term it says that there is no such command.

Thanks

Capn

quick update, I tried the ls command in a different dir, and it works fine, also rebooted the puter and it still has the empty folders in the trash,
    Last edited by capnfred; October 29th, 2015 at 12:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

just go to /home/<username>/.local/share/ and delete the Trash folder. It will get recreated the next time you delete something.

Beans

will give that a try....

Beans

Nope, tried it they are still there......any other ideas.... , even tried going in to the term, and doing it from the command line....nothing seems to work... there are no files, just empty folders.....open to suggestions, The only thing I have not done is to re-install the system, and I prefer not to do that...its just wierd...
    Last edited by capnfred; October 29th, 2015 at 04:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

in a termibal run: sudo nautilus and delete the trash folder. It's possible you were root when you deleted the folders initially, in which case you cannot delete them unless you are root.

Beans

was not in root, will try your suggestion and let you know what happens thanks ok here is a copy of my terminal screen after I executed the sudo command:

[sudo] password for fred:

(nautilus:2784): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(nautilus:2784): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 112 was not found when attempting to remove it

(nautilus:2784): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 113 was not found when attempting to remove it

(nautilus:2784): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 114 was not found when attempting to remove it

ran the following in term, and viola its gone....
    sudo rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/* it hink this is the same command string from before, but for whatever reason it worked this time....will have to examine it carefully to see what I did different

all is well thanks to evryone
    \
    as far as I can tell the only difference is the sudo...which makes a big difference... again thanks to all... its gone

Fred
    Last edited by capnfred; October 31st, 2015 at 01:34 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12