Thread: popup message box Ubuntu Gnome 15.10

Beans

popup message box Ubuntu Gnome 15.10

This popup message box occurs every once in while. All notifications are disabled, set to OFF but the message box keeps popping up from the bottom of the Desktop.

I looked around using the dconf editor but haven't been able to identify a process or origin of the popup message.

(click on thumbnail to see pic of the popup message box.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neb8; June 9th, 2015 at 09:31 PM.

Beans

Re: popup message box Ubuntu Gnome 15.10

Ubuntu 15.10 is in the early testing stages so by installing it, you have volunteered to test it and the purpose is to let the developers know what problems you are having with it. Using a system like this, you should expect a number of problems. Maybe that's a typo and your are using 14.10? See the link below:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...e-481006.shtml
    Last edited by yancek; June 9th, 2015 at 10:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Ubuntu 15.10 is in the early testing stages so by installing it, you have volunteered to test it and the purpose is to let the developers know what problems you are having with it. Using a system like this, you should expect a number of problems. Maybe that's a typo and your are using 14.10? See the link below:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...e-481006.shtml

Yes I realize it's in beta. I was wondering if anyone might recognize the pop-up message.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am not familiar with Ubuntu Gnome. Although I do have Wily (15.10) Ubuntu Gnome installed I do not have any online accounts. So, I cannot test this problem. My guess would be that the thing is set to check for notifications after set periods. And is giving a report. It is a bit stupid to do that if Notifications are set to OFF.

We have a section of this forum set aside for discussing our experiences using the development release. It is called Ubuntu Development Version. Some of us there are running Ubuntu Gnome. If a moderator sees this thread they will move it to the Ubuntu Development Version section.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

It's sorta of annoying as it will pop up several times within a few seconds, while trying to work, write/post messages, etc. Requires a mouse click to close each pop up message box.

I would say the problem isn't severe as it doesn't prevent the user from using the operating system and desktop.

What I usually do when some types of problems occur is accept them as part of an OS and/or desktop then down the road eventually find a fix or cure.

I thought perhaps if I was able to identify the process creating the pop up message the process could then be either reconfigured or disabled.
    Last edited by neb8; June 10th, 2015 at 07:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Ubuntu Development Version.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by neb8 View Post
    This popup message box occurs every once in while. All notifications are disabled, set to OFF but the message box keeps popping up from the bottom of the Desktop.

I looked around using the dconf editor but haven't been able to identify a process or origin of the popup message.

That popup is usually invoked by the mouse cursor being dragged to the bottom or bottom panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    That popup is usually invoked by the mouse cursor being dragged to the bottom or bottom panel.
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    The System Tools > Settings > Notifications isn't functioning for all notifications.

After disabling several of the startup indicators from System Tools > Startup Applications the notification message box hasn't returned.

Last edited by neb8; June 23rd, 2015 at 05:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by neb8 View Post

It's just another helper menu if your hover or slam you mouse pointer to lower right hand corner.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; June 12th, 2015 at 02:45 PM.