Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens on update to Windows 10 on dual boot?

Beans

What happens on update to Windows 10 on dual boot?

Currently set up with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 15.04. Dual boot installation in place for about 4 years.

If I upgrade to Windows 10, which apparently everyone who has Windows 7 or above is being offered for free, is there a chance the installation will wipe out my Ubuntu partition?
    Last edited by A.O._Stanley; June 1st, 2015 at 04:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What happens on update to Windows 10 on dual boot?

If its an upgrade, then no, Windows won't remove your ubuntu partition. You will need to reinstall grub though. Its always good practice to backup/clone your ubuntu os.

Beans

VMC, thanks for your reply. And so to install grub I'd need to have an installation disk, is that right? So I'd lose grub on the upgrade and the only way to get back to Ubuntu is to boot from the installation disk and install grub from there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you have mbr then read this guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...re-replacement

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Enjoy your not for free Windows yearly subscription when you next upgrade your hardware.

Beans

VMC, thanks for the link. It has everything I need to get ready for the upgrade.

CantankRus, from what Microsoft has said and from several articles I've read, Windows 10 does not turn into a subscription service. There has been quite a lot of speculation that MS would go subscription but apparently they're not, at least not for Windows 10. Only hitch I've read about is that the 'free' upgrade part ends 1 year after the release so if you have Win 7-8- or 8.1 then the upgrade is free within the first year of release.

I have one program that requires Net framework to run so I have to have a Windows machine otherwise I would go Linux 100%.

Beans
    Distro

I had a system where I installed Windows in addition to an existing *buntu partition. The Windows installer broke GRUB as expected. A boot-repair CD set things right.

Beans

This never crossed my mind, although I'm not sure I will be upgrading. Microsoft's statement 'we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge' concerns me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by CantankRus View Post
    Enjoy your not for free Windows yearly subscription when you next upgrade your hardware.
    It's not a yearly subscription. Windows is moving to a rolling-release platform, and IIRC, Ubuntu is planning to do this as well. Once you're on Windows 10, you have Windows. Just like once you have Mac, you have Mac.

That said, I'll still be using Ubuntu myself, but at least the Windows 8.1 dual-boot won't be so annoying.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by james139 View Post
    This never crossed my mind, although I'm not sure I will be upgrading. Microsoft's statement 'we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge' concerns me.
    I have no inside knowledge about this - I'm not in the tech biz - but I would not be surprised to see something like this.

I buy a new PC, it comes with Windows 10. It also comes with 3 (or however many) years support. If I want to continue to use my machine beyond the included support period/supported lifetime, I must pay some periodic fee for updates. If I were a manufacturer, I'd like to see that annual fee a significant fraction of a new machine. That would reduce substantially the number of people doing what people are doing now - continuing to use machines for 6+ years. It'd make financial sense to buy a new machine and get a hardware refresh rather than pay the periodic fee for updates. Perhaps offer some sort of trade-in/recycling program?

I wonder how much Microsoft makes on retail upgrade licenses? I'll bet not all that much. Perhaps they feel foregoing 1 year of upgrade license revenue is worth getting most people off XP, Vista, 7 & 8.x and onto one code base.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast