Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA Network's "Mr Robot" - what did you think?

Beans

USA Network's "Mr Robot" - what did you think?

You should be able to watch the pilot episode at https://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/v...hellofriendmov (I assume North America addresses only). I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. Apparently this series caught attention at SXSW. It's like the original Hackers movie updated with new terminology that is still improperly used and completely out of place. I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from a series by the "USA Network", but I fail to see why it garnered such reviews.

I think the main character acts well and I like his demeanor, but he's forced to spew lines of technical jargon that are just plain gibberish. As someone who works in IT security it was difficult for me to stomach the entire episode. Thoughts?
    Last edited by cariboo; May 30th, 2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: fix spelling error

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: USA Network's "Mr Robot" - what did you think?

What you have experienced is what physicists, chemists, astronomers, biologists, doctors, lawyers, mathematicians and historians have all complained about at one time or another: Hollywood's grasp of technical subject matter and its dedication to facts is at best woefully shoddy, and at worst, wilfully moronic.

This, in turn, is due to the fact that the writers, directors, actors and producers are almost all technological ignoramuses―and proud of it. Engineers don't tend to go in for the fine arts. And those who gravitate to writing and acting don't do too well with coding or differential equations. Therefore, verisimilitude is not a priority in Hollywood writing, and will be gleefully sacrificed to advance the plot, develop the character or not impede the big explosion.

You can probably guess that I don't watch much popular entertainment. When I do, I try to anaesthetize my brain and lower my expectations to the level of my boots, or my gonads, depending on the flick. It's best in your case to pretend that you don't work in IT, know nothing of security, and just allow the gibberish to wash over you like new-age elevator music. That way, you won't be letting those pesky facts distract you from the plot, the angst of the character and all those kewl explosions.

Beans

i think i'm going to give it to the second show to decide if it makes it on my list of things to watch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No tv...I have escaped this! Yippie!
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

and all those kewl explosions.
    LOL, but I haven't owned a TV for over 10 years. It's the shampoo adverts with their made-up chemical names that made me shout at the screen. I had to get rid of it for the sake of my own sanity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    ...I haven't owned a TV for over 10 years...
    You are one austere man, coldraven. A monk in an earlier life, perhaps?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    No tv...I have escaped this! Yippie!
    Must be absurdly liberating. You have a life whereas the rest of us have a glass teat.

Beans
    Hidden!

I also gave up the jail of the TV screen... for the jail of a PC screen :/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    I also gave up the jail of the TV screen... for the jail of a PC screen :/
    Same here - almost everything I watch is online. So, actually it's not that I've given up a TV screen but more I've given up cable. Mr. Robot seemed like it might be promising and had great reviews so I gave it a chance, but it's horrible. It's really a shame that this type of garbage needs to be produced in order to appeal to audiences. Maybe an on-line series targeted for the IT-savvy? Almost every day at work is an episode for me. Fires, alert notifications, escalations, conscious moral dilemmas...it happens every day.

Beans

I have never owned a TV, haven't watched any TV for 5 or 6 years (there was one in a shared house where I lived, but I rarely watched). I do watch occasional TV shows online. Actually cable TV is dying according to surveys, it is now mostly for the older demographic who are not comfortable with computers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast