Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossroad

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Crossroad

With several (somehow) different roads U+1 is taking it would be good to have instruction(s) for newcomers what path (regarding /etc/apt/sourses.list) to take to end up from 15.04 into one of available U+1s. It would be, also, nice not to meander too much, as little as possible... First it would be nice to make a list of U+1s available and next to it a simple sed (like sudo sed 's/zika/akiz/g' -i /etc/apt/sources.list) command to get from 15.04 to that branch of U+1. No flavors are on topic here.
    Last edited by zika; May 28th, 2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: edited command not to confuse newcomers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Crossroad

strange request : 'newcomers' have to learn their way with U first; then there is U+1 for experienced users, and finally U+1+1 for the advanturous/dreamers/novice coders

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    strange request : 'newcomers' have to learn their way with U first; then there is U+1 for experienced users, and finally U+1+1 for the advanturous/dreamers/novice coders
    If bolded is addressed to my post than I can reply only with: Silly me, I was somehow misguided by this forum's name: Forum: Ubuntu Development Version. On the other hand I was, obviously, misguided, also, by already ongoing discussions about Snappy, Next, Personal... Mea culpa. Not to mention nice practice that we had several U+1 cycles before this one... Thought that a nice place with clear and off-topic-tainted-free how-tos/advices would be usefull. Strange-mode off and zika out...
    Ad underlined: I thouth about newcomers here in U+1, if that was not clear. I rarely, if anytime, do write outside U+1 so...
    Last edited by zika; May 28th, 2015 at 10:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I got curious about the U+1 section some years ago. I was completely baffled by what the people here were doing. I still am baffled by many of the activities. But with a little help I was able to learn a little.

Ventrical has been quietly working on this

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/library

Any commands or links to information that anyone adds to this thread I will add to the U+1 library. I think that this thread is a good idea. We are at a crossroads where development in the Ubuntu family of distros will take different paths to the future. There is nothing wrong with that. I see it as all part of Ubuntu development.

Which has brought to my mind the need for a Wayland compositor section of the U+1 Library. Today's update upgraded a couple of wayland libraries. It got me thinking that it must surely be part of the Ubuntu Gnome mission statement to run Ubuntu Gnome with the Gnome Wayland compositor. I must research this.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Ventrical has been quietly working on this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/library
    Nice and useful.
    Nevertheless it seems that that page do not cover stuff that I had in mind, proposed in my I post in this thread. I might have missed it.
    Last edited by zika; May 29th, 2015 at 09:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I agree with zika, with all the new variants coming in the next couple of years, some of the wikis are going to need to be revamped, we have Ubuntu with Mir, Gnome with Wayland, not to mention Snappy as well as plain old Ubuntu. I'm willing to update the Common Questions section of my wiki page, but I'd like to see more of a collaborative effort, much of what is posted in this section can be used to fill out the wiki pages. Ventrical has done a good job with the library page, but we are going to need a lot more information.

I may even start posting in my blog again, with Planet Ubuntu being syndicated, the blog may reach more people and bring them to this section of the Forum, just to see what's new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    With several (somehow) different roads U+1 is taking it would be good to have instruction(s) for newcomers what path (regarding /etc/apt/sourses.list) to take to end up from 15.04 into one of available U+1s.
    I have been working on this very thing. You had made several contributions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1970289

which corrections I then pasted in to the U+1 wiki. I had also committed to begin and area of Instructional Development (which I have) but have been remiss in populating with content. My lame excuse is that I have several day jobs . I am also trying to intergrate some of the priceless KB here at U+1 (and U+1 past versions) for all of our benefits. I thank you and grahammechanical and slickymaster and elfy and effenberg for all of your contributions. I hope that more is forthcoming .

it would be good to have instruction(s) for newcomers
    I have worked in the Department of Instructional Development at the University of Windsor, ON Canada and my job was assisting professors. It is how I paid my way through my ComSci courses in VaxUnix/Introduction to Algorithms and BASIC programming. But newcomers are not professors so perhaps you may have more suggestions to help us at the wiki with your specific topic and knowledge on that item. I am not even sure if there is a tutorial on this. Is there?

Regards..

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo View Post
    I agree with zika, with all the new variants coming in the next couple of years, some of the wikis are going to need to be revamped, we have Ubuntu with Mir, Gnome with Wayland, not to mention Snappy as well as plain old Ubuntu. I'm willing to update the Common Questions section of my wiki page, but I'd like to see more of a collaborative effort, much of what is posted in this section can be used to fill out the wiki pages. Ventrical has done a good job with the library page, but we are going to need a lot more information.

I may even start posting in my blog again, with Planet Ubuntu being syndicated, the blog may reach more people and bring them to this section of the Forum, just to see what's new.
    +1

Actually it is grahammechanical and slickymaster who are doing all the heavy lifting in the 'library'.

but we are going to need a lot more information.
    I couldn't agree more. I am still sandboxing and blackboarding ideas on how to incorporate the wiki to quick links in ubuntuforums development to make it more userfriendly and graphically oriented.

Regards..

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Nice and useful.
    Nevertheless it seems that that page do not cover stuff that I had in mind, proposed in my I post in this thread. I might have missed it.
    Cariboo has covered this to some extent and the link is at the the U+1 testers wiki.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/common...doesn.27t_work
    Last edited by ventrical; May 29th, 2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: addon@testerswiki

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

+1 to all the above.

Which is why I think that this thread is a good idea. A place to collect information that can be centralised in a "public library" and may be de-mystified a little.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I opened up a section in U+1 wiki called Instructional Development. Any current members or users of Moin Moin are free to add info/links etc.. there concerning this topic thread.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/InstructionalDevelopment

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I opened up a section in U+1 wiki called Instructional Development. Any current members or users of Moin Moin are free to add info/links etc.. there concerning this topic thread.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1/InstructionalDevelopment

Regards..
    I removed the bold formatting, as it should only be used to highlight a point. Maybe we need some sort of style guide.

grahammechanical

+1 to all the above.

Which is why I think that this thread is a good idea. A place to collect information that can be centralised in a "public library" and may be de-mystified a little.

Regards.
    We shouldn't limit ourselves to only this thread, as when answering a question, someone may come up with a solution that none of us have thought of yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast