Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crossroad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Crossroad

Some Q&A with Will Cooke.

Q: What about the impact of that in other ubuntu editions (kubuntu, xubuntu)? Everyone is supposed to move to snappy and abandon apt/dpkg?
    A: The flavors won't be affected unless they choose to add snappy support themselves to get its benefits.

Q: In this future scenario, will we see ppa's moving from apt/deb to snappy too? If yes, will we have both versions running?
    A: With click/snappy you really don't need a PPA anymore.
    full article-
    http://www.webupd8.org/2015/04/ubunt...switch-to.html

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have not forgotten LXDE-QT or Xfce. I was browsing for information last night and I came across a statement explaining why one or the other of these DEs had Wayland packages in it. The answer was: "If it is open source and does what you want, then why not use it." I thought that was a good attitude to have. There are different paths to the future. None of them is more right or more wrong than the others.

From the little research that I have done it seems that the developers of the DEs are very busy designing their own visions of the future. When it comes to the replacement for X these developers are going to rely heavily on the work of others. Change will proceed at different rates. I guess the same situation applies in the Ubuntu family. So long as X is maintained and packages are available in the presently used package format there is no need to panic.

As regards Ubuntu Snappy Personal, once we get an installable ISO image I expect it to be upgraded by transactional updates and there will be no break between 15.10 and 16.04 and onwards.

The concept first has to become a reality for Ubuntu. Then work will have to be done to make it possible to put different DEs and UIs onto Ubuntu Snappy Personal. Otherwise there cannot be a Ubuntu family of Snappy Personals.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Iv'e gone as far as I could with snappy kvm and the .img file but there is not much more than that. Perhaps patience is a virtue in this case and once the snappy.iso is out then we can take the hammers to it.

Regards..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123