Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What The Heck Is Quantum Computing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question What The Heck Is Quantum Computing?

Hello,

The same NetFlix program on hacking, that I referenced in my earlier thread, discussed the use of quantum computing by governments for the purpose of cracking public key encryption for digital eavesdropping. The fact that the current Von-Neumann computational process is sequential, rather that parallel, was cited as its primary limitation, especially when it comes to factoring large semi-prime numbers, the process needed to crack public-key encryption. Today's large supercomputers like NASA's Pleiades and the Blue Waters supercomputers address this problem by daisy-chaining several hundred thousand sequential 64bit processors together. According to the NetFlix program, quantum computing uses a property of the quantum world that allows a particle to be in several places at once ( I suspect a very incomplete first approximation) to allow a quantum computer to try all the different combinations at once. Perhaps particles at the quantum level simply move so fast in their orbits that they only "appear" to be everywhere at once, at least using light as the radiation with which the phenomenon is being observed, which has finite properties. I also suspect that quantum-entanglement would have to play a role to get all the Q-bits to work together.

I've pretty much gotten most of my understanding of quantum-entanglement from blogs and television rather than experimentation; but my understanding is that photons are exchanged between electrons which causes their spins to remain linked in the opposite directions until the entanglement is broken. This implies an FTL communication link between them by some unknown form of radiation, in this universe, or information being passed between them through some sort of sub-universe, where time exists, but distance does not. I suppose one could visualize this as the motherboard or backplane of our three dimensional universe, which apparently needs lots of additional processing, which we can't normally see, to exist.

Philosophy aside, I'd really like to know how this works in a practical sense. It seems a company in Canada called D:Wave has already built one. Here's the article:

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/tech...nge-the-world/

I wonder which OS they're using? I'd also like to know who their customers are and what they're using them for. Oh, to be a fly on the wall of D:Wave accounts receivable!

Hannibal
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu Quantum 31.10.03 & Windows 10000 on Dell Inspiron 55200 Infinite-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill XIV!'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What The Heck Is Quantum Computing?

If anyone in the world has moved on from a few very small experiments using a very small number of quantum bits to having a fully functional quantum computer, I am sure that every University in the world would be very interested to know.

Quantum computing is at best in its infancy.
    Last edited by QIII; October 26th, 2015 at 05:43 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, here's a way cool video from the company's website.

http://www.dwavesys.com/

BTW, I did recommend they upgrade their OS to Ubuntu

Beans

Just to tap them off super quick.

- There are currently no quantum computers which can be used for cracking security in that way, they are still very much so experimental
    - An electron or other quantum element does move through every possible permutation of its movement simultaneously. This was proven earlier this year. Its not a matter of speed rather another counter-intuitive aspect of quantum mechanics called superposition : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantu...imaginary_time

- The nature of quantum entanglement is still up for debate, whether the two particles can communicate faster than light or they are born with hidden information is still unclear
    - Quantum entanglement cannot be used for storing or sending information because although the spins are always opposite they are also random
    - A quantum computer cant function as a normal computer and would likely be a terrible replacement for our computers

You can find a really good video on quantum computing by Veritasium here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_IaVepNDT4

He also does a good one on quantum entanglement

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You would not know a quantum computer was running until it gave the answer to the question.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Despite what the company may claim, they do not have a working quantum computer. They have what may be something that operates on a very finite number of qubits and surrounds that with a pretty standard conventional computer. In fact, its "computing power" is something on the order of 1/1000th of the speed of a conventional computer. I say again: It is slower than your desktop.

NASA does not use theirs for answering the mysteries of the Universe, but for experimenting with quantum computers on a very finite scale and proving concepts for algorithms that might be useful. They aren't "doing" anything with it in any meaningful way.

The company is FAR overstating what they have -- to the point of scientific and commercial fraud if they are actually trying to sell it as such.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdesbyrne View Post

- The nature of quantum entanglement is still up for debate, whether the two particles can communicate faster than light or they are born with hidden information is still unclear.
    Hidden information, would that be like metadata?

Beans

You may want to play with this http://qcplayground.withgoogle.com/#/home

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: What The Heck Is Quantum Computing?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdesbyrne View Post
    Just to tap them off super quick.

- There are currently no quantum computers which can be used for cracking security in that way, they are still very much so experimental
    - An electron or other quantum element does move through every possible permutation of its movement simultaneously. This was proven earlier this year. Its not a matter of speed rather another counter-intuitive aspect of quantum mechanics called superposition : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantu...imaginary_time

- The nature of quantum entanglement is still up for debate, whether the two particles can communicate faster than light or they are born with hidden information is still unclear
    - Quantum entanglement cannot be used for storing or sending information because although the spins are always opposite they are also random
    - A quantum computer cant function as a normal computer and would likely be a terrible replacement for our computers

You can find a really good video on quantum computing by Veritasium here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_IaVepNDT4

He also does a good one on quantum entanglement
    Thank you tremendously. I was able to follow the written material, with the exception of the math; and the videos were on target and clarified many things for me. I had Calculus in college and was wondering what you think I might need to learn to actually follow the math?

Hannibal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I read some articles every few months about this stuff. Some experts still think Quantum Computing isn't yet a reality at all and that it's just shrouded in mystery, controversy, and hype. But Scientific American has written about it as well as New Scientist if you want to read more on the topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast