Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of apps that pay you to install them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

What do you think of apps that pay you to install them?

Hey,

I've never heard of this stuff before. I didn't realize it was a thing
    I've just come across a few articles that have apps and other stuff pay you to use them or just install them. In the particular article I linked, the only ones that seem kind of safe and easy to install to me are the lock screen ones, it also seems tempting to try.

But one caught my eye #4: Media Research Panel. So it actually listens to TV shows and tracks them down. This doesn't seem very safe to me.
    I'm just wondering what other people think of stuff like this? Or maybe people that use/have used it. If you have used it what was your experience like?

I'm really curious about these apps and my install a lock screen one just to try it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What do you think of apps that pay you to install them?

If it sounds to good to be true ...

What this sounds like to me is "Here! We'll pay you five bucks to install an application you know nothing about. But it's safe and won't turn you machine into a bot. Honest!"
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    If it sounds to good to be true ...

What this sounds like to me is "Here! We'll pay you five bucks to install an application you know nothing about. But it's safe and won't turn you machine into a bot. Honest!"
    Well if I had to choose I would rather get paid to have my PC become part of a botnet then it becoming one regardless by mistake

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If everything you do on the net is via a Google app then it's probably not that much worse, but I'm with QIII on this one. If it looks to good to be true, then ...

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Well if I had to choose I would rather get paid to have my PC become part of a botnet then it becoming one regardless by mistake
    LOL. Fair point. Might set up an old desktop I have hanging around and just prostitute it to paid apps and nothing else. Pretty soon I'll be rolling in cash and everything I buy, watch, and basically do will be on a data base somewhere for sale to the highest bidder (which might be how the folks behind these apps can afford to pay). Perhaps data mining, but up front (as up front as it can be without actually saying 'we want to mine your data and sell it to the highest bidder' that is). Just a guess.

* Just had a thought while I was away: this could be a fix for unemployment! Everyone bot-ing away night and day and the poor become the rich. Hmm ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 27th, 2015 at 11:43 AM.

Pure garbage.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If they want use of my processor and I don't think their cause worthwhile they will have to steal it off me with more imagination than sucking me into it with stuff I am ready to assume I can find reasonable similes of for (genuinely) free.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans

Reminds me of the Amazon reviews by people who were given something if they do a review.....I wish that would happen to me!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Review scams on sites like Amazon can be really absurd and creepy.

But these "paying" apps are all of one of two classes - survey apps or, in the case of ibotta and maybe some others, just a different delivery mechanism for coupons. They're paying you, by micropayment, to do market research for them on yourself.

It's not a scam, and it's not a thermodynamic miracle in economic form. Things like this existed before they were apps. Buuuut ... you're being paid for an invasion of your privacy, and filtering out the real ones from "WIN AN iPad BY CLICKING THIS BANNER" wouldn't be easy. I'd personally consider paid blood donation first in a pinch.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think in the end I'm going to just not do it. It doesn't seem especially safe, and totally "too good to be true"
    Not to mention from all the stuff I've read about it, it seems like you're doing a ton of busy work for literally pennies.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    LOL. Fair point. Might set up an old desktop I have hanging around and just prostitute it to paid apps and nothing else. Pretty soon I'll be rolling in cash and everything I buy, watch, and basically do will be on a data base somewhere for sale to the highest bidder (which might be how the folks behind these apps can afford to pay). Perhaps data mining, but up front (as up front as it can be without actually saying 'we want to mine your data and sell it to the highest bidder' that is). Just a guess.

* Just had a thought while I was away: this could be a fix for unemployment! Everyone bot-ing away night and day and the poor become the rich. Hmm ...
    Why use a old desktop, just use a virtualbox with and cap the CPU, ram, and net speed
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast