Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

http://www.zdnet.com/article/mark-sh...canonical-ipo/

Interesting story. If Canonical does go public, I can't help thinking it would be the end of the Ubuntu distribution.

1. Canonical has yet to make money on the distribution. It's hard for me to see how profit oriented shareholders would indefinitely tolerate the development of "Ubuntu" as a DE or Mobile OS.
    2. What's to stop Microsoft or Apple (among many others) from purchasing controlling shares in Canonical? The expense would be chump-change for either company.

There's probably a (3.) too, but I can't think of what it would be. If the Ubuntu DE does fade into obscurity, I personally would probably switch to Debian or OpenSuse, probably Debian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

Canonical could also be sold. All things are possible but not all things are likely.

Tell us. Save us the necessity of reading that blog post. Does the blogger quote Mark Shuttleworth? Or is this another blog post that is utter speculation like the blog that we were linked to the other day?

Ubuntu is open source so it could become a solely community developed Linux Distribution. In fact there are already in existence community developed derivatives of Ubuntu. Of course the pace of development would not be the same.

It is said the Canonical does not make any profit. But that does not mean that it does not make money. Canonical spends its money hiring developers.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The article's by Stephen J. Vaughan-Nichols, who's always been good in my opinion:

"In an interview at OpenStack Summit, Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux, revealed that he's considering an IPO for his privately held business."

In terms of likelihood, I'd put selling-Canonical at the bottom of the list. Going public, at this point, likelier than not. It would certainly bring in a good deal of cash (which is the reason, I think, that Shuttleworth is considering an IPO). If Canonical does go public, I'll be buying some stock, just on principle.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

http://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comme...al_ipo/crgsmak I think says it all.

No sources or actual quotes from anyone else. The story starts "In an interview". But with who?

Lots of sites have re-quoted the article but it won't be included in this week's Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter as there's very little to substantiate what is really a rumour or a quote taken out of context.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From reddit:

//this is one article which has no sources//

The, um, "source" would be Shuttleworth? But maybe that's not "sourcey" enough.

//and no accompanying reports from anyone else.//

Right. Because all reporters wait to publish a story in tandem with other news organizations...

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

"He's seriously thinking about taking Canonical public." - but who said that?

All Mark Shuttleworth's quotes could be about something else and taken out of context.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    It could be a mis-quote (i.e. [He's] "seriously..."), Shuttleworth discussing himself in the third person, or a quote from a third party. I don't know, but rather than speculate I emailed Steven. Soon as I get a response, I'll let you know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    The answer is in:

Mark Shuttleworth.

Steven's response:

"He was using third person. His point was taking Canonical public isn't going to be his decision alone. Steven"

There. Ask and you shall receive. Let the discussion continue. :-)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think it'd be a pretty cool idea because then Canonical will have the money to focus on both desktop and mobile.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't see much of the way Ubuntu is made changing if this does happen (which I doubt seeing as there is only this one rumour about it currently).

$ is not the enemy of free software and even more so of opens source

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast