Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    1,317
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    I think, he should do it right away, (public offering). Ubuntu is in a race for convergence and the mobile market, with much, "deeper pocket" horses, than Canonical. Shuttleworth has indicated that getting it done is "a lot of work". I imagine they are spending all they can on development. Throwing even a few extra hundred million into development towards whatever visions they want to pursue, could possibly, "turn the trick", for a lot of things.

    I hope it happens and happens, soon.
    Last edited by mikodo; May 28th, 2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: grammar
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

  2. #22
    neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    912
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    Throwing even a few extra hundred million into development towards whatever visions they want to pursue, could possibly, "turn the trick", for a lot of things.

    I hope it happens and happens, soon.
    I'll go along with that. I assume, though, that Shuttleworth would hold controlling shares. Now that he's finally seeing some success, I can't imagine he wants to jump ship.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Beans
    136

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    I think, he should do it right away, (public offering). Ubuntu is in a race for convergence and the mobile market, with much, "deeper pocket" horses, than Canonical. Shuttleworth has indicated that getting it done is "a lot of work". I imagine they are spending all they can on development. Throwing even a few extra hundred million into development towards whatever visions they want to pursue, could possibly, "turn the trick", for a lot of things.

    I hope it happens and happens, soon.
    Whether Mark wishes to deal with shareholders (even if he controls most or all of the voting stock) is something only he can decide. If a company does not perform as well financially as shareholders want it to (or if the company has a large cash balance that they want redistributed to them -- Google the name Carl Icahn for examples of this as forcing companies to make decisions based on what makes more profit for shareholders rather than what management of a company thinks is right and redistributing large cash balances back to stockholders are two things he pushes hard, Carl is one of the biggest and wealthiest people in activist investing in the US) they can exert a lot of pressure on him to either change direction or leave the company. If Mark owns the majority of voting stock he could theoretically fight such pressure for a long time -- but that is stressful and not something to be taken lightly as in the long term regulatory agencies can get involved and force a change if under enough pressure from shareholders. It so happens that Carl Icahn has made a lot of money in tech stocks recently (he has made millions off of Apple as of late), it is theoretically possible he might want to purchase Canonical stock if an IPO takes place. Some of this depends on what countries the stock trades in.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    King's Lynn, UK
    Beans
    682
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    This guy Carl Icahn appears to be nothing more than a self-serving vulture (!)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Icahn

    From what I can see of it, everything he does is primarily for his own personal gain.....and only secondarily for the companies involved (which indirectly feeds back into his primary motive). I agree that with the state of the economy today, going public is the only way for many firms to raise capital required for major investment.....but the 'stinger' for this is that if Mark does decide to 'float' Canonical on the stock markets, then those shares do have to be available for PUBLIC purchase. In other words, he cannot place any caveats on who is allowed to purchase them.

    In the long run, yes, shareholders DO have 'rights'.....but only up to a point. No company is going to last long if it's in existence purely to make money for the investors. And especially if those shareholders take it upon themselves to re-direct a company's 'working capital' into their own pockets...

    Only in America....!


    Regards,

    Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; May 29th, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

    IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    9,205
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Beans
    136

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Walsh View Post
    This guy Carl Icahn appears to be nothing more than a self-serving vulture (!)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Icahn

    From what I can see of it, everything he does is primarily for his own personal gain.....and only secondarily for the companies involved (which indirectly feeds back into his primary motive). I agree that with the state of the economy today, going public is the only way for many firms to raise capital required for major investment.....but the 'stinger' for this is that if Mark does decide to 'float' Canonical on the stock markets, then those shares do have to be available for PUBLIC purchase. In other words, he cannot place any caveats on who is allowed to purchase them.

    In the long run, yes, shareholders DO have 'rights'.....but only up to a point. No company is going to last long if it's in existence purely to make money for the investors. And especially if those shareholders take it upon themselves to re-direct a company's 'working capital' into their own pockets...

    Only in America....!


    Regards,

    Mike.
    I didn't claim to agree with the way Carl Icahn does business in many cases although I do think the guy did well for himself even if some of his methods are borderline immoral. If you want a sad story research what Carl Icahn did to TWA in the late 1980's. I also agree with what you have said here.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    King's Lynn, UK
    Beans
    682
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    Quote Originally Posted by mattharris4 View Post
    I didn't claim to agree with the way Carl Icahn does business in many cases although I do think the guy did well for himself even if some of his methods are borderline immoral. If you want a sad story research what Carl Icahn did to TWA in the late 1980's. I also agree with what you have said here.
    Interestingly, the Wikipedia article I quoted DID have details of the TWA affair contained within. For some reason, 2 days ago the article appears to have been edited.....and it's all been deleted..!

    Curiouser & curiouser.....


    Regards,

    Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

    IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Walsh View Post
    Interestingly, the Wikipedia article I quoted DID have details of the TWA affair contained within. For some reason, 2 days ago the article appears to have been edited.....and it's all been deleted..!

    Curiouser & curiouser.....


    Regards,

    Mike.
    Welcome to wikipedia... where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    5,078
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    There are two down sides about going public.

    First, the company must issue a quarterly report every three months, and if the revenue or the profit do not meet analysts' expectations, the stock price gets pummelled.

    Second, there are regulatory filings which consume a non-trivial amount of effort.

    The "benevolent dictator" model has a lot going for it.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Beans
    0

    Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

    Hii!!!
    I'm new in Ubuntuforums, but I have time using Xubuntu + Devel repos and I love it.
    I had seen this news, and makes me think about it, in fact, I have made a thread in reddit about it: http://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comme...ntu_canonical/


    How will these changes affect Ubuntu?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •