Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Canonical could go public ~ offer IPO

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    I don't see much of the way Ubuntu is made changing if this does happen (which I doubt seeing as there is only this one rumour about it currently).
    A rumor is "A current story passing from one person to another, without any known authority for its truth..." This isn't a rumor. The expressed interest in going public comes direct from Shuttleworth.

$ is not the enemy of free software. $ is the friend of $ though, and if Canonical goes public, its priorities will have to change.

Edit: On the other hand, rather than predict the worst case, it's also possible that going public could grease the wheels as far as cutting deals with phone makers goes. If Canonical sees more success in its mobile effort, the DE might piggyback on that sucess.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; May 27th, 2015 at 01:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    A rumor is "A current story passing from one person to another, without any known authority for its truth..." This isn't a rumor. The expressed interest in going public comes direct from Shuttleworth.
    Sorry, I must have missed the link to the information from an official source (Canonical and so forth). So perhaps Mark did say they could offer an IPO, they could even start making Ubuntu themed cupcakes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Sorry, I must have missed the link to the information from an official source (Canonical and so forth).
    Right. Because Mark isn't an official source. Can't trust a thing the guy says. I mean, who's he working for anyway?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

He may have said that. He may not have.

At this point we have what someone says he said in an interview -- that's third party.

That's what some people are getting at here.

I'm buying if there is an IPO.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I'm buying if there is an IPO.
    Buying the story or the stock?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    At this point we have what someone says he said in an interview -- that's third party.
    Yup. As opposed to everything else in the news.

So first, the jaded-parade thinks the quote is from an unsourced third party. Okay. Fair enough. I write Steve V, the blogger/journalist who wrote the article, and he says 'No, the quote is Shuttleworth talking about himself in the third party.' See the quote above.

But no, that's not good enough: 'Do we reeeeaaalllly know Mark Shuttleworth said that? I mean, wut?

So, what's going on here. Is "Denial" really a river in Egypt? Did I miss the memo? Does Egypt really exist? I mean I've never seen Egypt in person. I've only heard of it through third parties... Maybe it doesn't exist.

Beans

Whoever said it, let it happen. There have been quite a few announcements in the past on other things ...

Beans
    Hidden!

Right. Because Mark isn't an official source. Can't trust a thing the guy says. I mean, who's he working for anyway?
    Please read the first sentence of my post in conjunction with the second sentence and try and understand what I am saying.

Beans

Interesting story. If Canonical does go public, I can't help thinking it would be the end of the Ubuntu distribution.
    Wouldn't that mean they would have to take less than three years to answer questions about donations and pull their heads out of their posteriors about the IP policy?

Beans

I cannot predict what Canonical would do if it went public and Mark Shuttleworth left the company (I would not expect major changes as long as he is CEO, most companies that go public do not change much until its creator leaves the company). Maybe Morgaes could comment more knowledgeably, his identity has the words "staff emeritus" under it and I have corresponded with him some via PM, he seems to care about this forum, Ubuntu and its spin-off OSes deeply. However, both Open SUSE and Red Hat have for-profit OS versions with paid support along with their free to use versions. Canonical could do likewise with Edubuntu and Ubuntu and probably make quite a bit of money (Canonical already offers paid support options for business but do not have specific versions of their OSes for that venture). If I owned Canonical I would move in that direction, having Canonical developers create a souped-up version of Ubuntu for business and Edubuntu for schools that the respective markets would pay for with enhanced support while keeping the free versions for home use. Unlike many others I don't take issue with commercial use of Linux. Even Linus Torvalds (the creator of Linux) makes money on Linux in the form of a salary from the organization running the project now, Red Hat also gave him stock options when they created the commercial version of their OS. Not everything on the web is accurate but several sources claim Linus is worth $150 million mainly from the Red Hat stock (I take that $150 million figure with several grains of salt but do believe Red Hat gave him stock and he is a millionaire although probably not one 150 times over). Mark Shuttleworth and the owners/stockholders of Open SUSE and Red Hat should be able to make money with their Linux OSes as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast