Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing boot animation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Changing boot animation

Hello, as I'm a bit of a noob with Linux, and only recently figured out how to theme Ubuntu, I was wondering if it was possible to change the boot animation/splash screen (I think it's called?). To something like... This: http://youtu.be/apx_HyxFqjA
    its the first-boot animation from the Ubuntu edition XPS 13 Dell, I know adding something like this will prolong boot times, but hey, I could show it off to friends as something to brag about. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Changing boot animation

plymouth (the booting splash) is deeply implemented and cant be themed

Beans

I would respectfully disagree that Plymouth can't be themed. There are many Plymouth themes available. I currently use one on Ubuntu 12.04 and Xubuntu 14.04.

Where do you find them? In the Ubuntu repositories search for plymouth-theme and several will show up. The one called plymouth-theme-solar is the best looking one in there. More and better can be found if you go to gnome-look.org. In the categories on the left of their main page, look for "Splash Screens".

I am using Earth-sunrise:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=137171

Quite spectacular.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I would respectfully disagree that Plymouth can't be themed. There are many Plymouth themes available. I currently use one on Ubuntu 12.04 and Xubuntu 14.04.

Where do you find them? In the Ubuntu repositories search for plymouth-theme and several will show up. The one called plymouth-theme-solar is the best looking one in there. More and better can be found if you go to gnome-look.org. In the categories on the left of their main page, look for "Splash Screens".

I am using Earth-sunrise:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=137171

Quite spectacular.

They looks amazing are they easy to install I would not mind installing one to see how it looks. thanks

Beans

They looks amazing are they easy to install I would not mind installing one to see how it looks. thanks
    There is a README file inside the tar.gz archive of Earth-sunrise (you don't need the .deb)

In case you pick one without instructions, this is from that README:

...extract the contents of the zip to your home or Desktop folder, then open a terminal and run this (firstly navigate to the folder where you extracted it using a terminal; if you extracted it on your Desktop, that would be: cd ~/Desktop):

Code:
    sudo cp -R Earth-sunrise/ /lib/plymouth/themes/
    sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/Earth-sunrise/Earth-sunrise.plymouth 100
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    Reboot and ready... should be running the new theme.
    At step #3 in the quoted code, choose the number of the theme you want to use then hit enter.
    Of course, if you choose a different theme, substitute its name in place of 'Earth-sunrise'
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 25th, 2015 at 01:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you don't mind me asking how do you like the splash themes?

Question? I need to run those commands from my terminal?

I don't want to break anything..
    Last edited by RobGoss; May 25th, 2015 at 01:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robert159 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking how do you like the splash themes?
    Question? I need to run those commands from my terminal?
    I don't want to break anything..
    The Earth-sunrise is excellent. It runs perfectly on the two systems I mentioned. But if it doesn't work well, or you choose not to use it, you can use the quoted steps #3 and #4 and return to the original Plymouth theme. Yes, all the quoted code is done in the terminal. You can copy and paste these lines, but as I said at the end, if you choose a different theme, be sure to substitute it's name for 'Earth-sunrise' in lines #1 and 2.

If you get it going, let us know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I sure will thanks so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

While the rising sun animation is pretty amazing... Is it possible to use something like a video as a splash screen? (If so, how?)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Shaver View Post
    While the rising sun animation is pretty amazing... Is it possible to use something like a video as a splash screen? (If so, how?)
    I've seen nothing that indicates that is possible at this time. If it were, it would be widely publicized. Thanks for the feedback that Earth-sunrise was a success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast