Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleted files still taking up space

Beans

Deleted files still taking up space

Hi

Sorry for posting this in 'General', was not sure where to post.

On a new Gnome install, my data hard drive (not the gnome install drive) showed about 5GB free.

then i deleted about 10GB. Now my hd is showing only 3GB free!

i browsed to Trash, and i could not browse to Trash-- got error described here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/13783...-showing-files

http://askubuntu.com/questions/50717...-there-as-root

After updating gnome, i am not getting error when i browse to trash. But, still only 3GB free.

Since i deleted over 10GB, this cannot be correct. How can i fix?

thx!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Deleted files still taking up space

Beans

hi, thx!

i checked all the dirs listed in that post, and found my trash folder in /.Trash-0

but, there was only a small 15MB folder in .../files. Did not find the ~10 .iso files i just deleted, worth ~10GB. Drive still showed 3GB free. The other dirs in that article turn up nothing.

Finally found my stuff in /media/jack/MyStuff/.Trash-0. Good thing the article told me to search, but might be helpful if the article said "this is not a complete list. You must do a search if you don't find your deleted files in these folders." I almost didn't bother searching, because i thought, 'well if this is a complete list, then why bother searching"'

btw, i noticed i still get error when trying to open the Trash in nautilus.

ps, was actually 25GB worth of deleted files!

thx!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by johny why View Post
    Finally found my stuff in /media/jack/MyStuff/.Trash-0.
    It sounds as though you deleted your files with a root-owned nautilus. That's a recipe for making life difficult for yourself. Was there a reason for this?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Indeed. I installed gnome ubuntu from the Live CD. That gnome ubuntu installer created this account, and i went with it. i assumed, incorrectly apparently, that the installer would walk me through creating all necessary accounts.

So, i was supposed to create a restricted or user account right after the install?

thx!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Indeed. I installed gnome ubuntu from the Live CD. That gnome ubuntu installer created this account, and i went with it. i assumed, incorrectly apparently, that the installer would walk me through creating all necessary accounts.

So, i was supposed to create a restricted or user account right after the install?

thx!
    This doesn't answer my question. Let's go back one step. How did you open nautilus when you deleted all those files that ended up taking up space?

Edit: Oops - missed the links in your first post. You were opening nautilus with "sudo nautilus" or gksudo nautilus". Why did you think you needed to do this?
    Last edited by coffeecat; May 25th, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

sudo nautilus

i did sudo because i'm unable to write to this disk without sudo.

thx!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i did sudo because i'm unable to write to this disk without sudo.
    Then that is your underlying problem. Why don't we sort that out for you? Having a drive that you can only write to as root is inconvenient to say the least, and could lead you to do things which might compromise your desktop security - such as opening a file browser with root permissions.

My guess is that your drive is formatted ext3/ext4 and that the filesystem is owned by root. It's an easy thing to fix. Plug the drive in, let it be mounted, and post the output of these commands:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    mount

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    My guess is that your drive is formatted ext3/ext4 and that the filesystem is owned by root.
    i created the partitions on a different OS as root (Puppy linux, which does everything as root).
    It's the internal HD, not external. Formatted ext2.
    Been researching how to set up permissions without success. Appreciate the help.

Code:
    jack@boombox:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for jack: 

Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x0003a72b

Device     Boot    Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1           2048  19533297  19531250   9.3G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2       40962048 976773119 935811072 446.2G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3       39010302  40962047   1951746   953M  5 Extended
    /dev/sda4  *    19533824  39008433  19474610   9.3G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda5       39010304  40962047   1951744   953M 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order.
    Code:
    jack@boombox:~$ mount
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1954232k,nr_inodes=488558,mode=755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=393072k,mode=755)
    /dev/sda4 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
    securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
    tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
    pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset,clone_children)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
    cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
    systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=32,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
    debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
    mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
    hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
    tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=393072k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
    gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Your data partition - which I assume is sda2 - is not mounted, unless you accidentally omitted a line from the end. I assume you are mounting this from nautilus. Please mount the partition and then re-run the mount command and post the output.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast