Thread: Install Error Code [ 3.42990] ACPI PCC probe failed

Beans

Install Error Code [ 3.42990] ACPI PCC probe failed

Good Day All,

I have a custom pc that I am trying to install Ubuntu desktop on its own hard drive. I already have Windows on a separate hard drive. I'm running the follow equipment -

INTEL I5 Processor
    ASUS Maximus V Gene Intel Z77

EVGA GTX670
    Crucial 16GB 8X2 DDR3
    Thermalta Smart 750W
    TPLINK 3000MBPS WRLS N PCIE ADAPTER

I've created a bootable USB with the 64 bit version Ubuntu 14.4.02.LTS and I've tried version 15. I keep getting the following errors in different order -

4.303598 ldm_parse_tocblock(): cannot find TOCBLOCK, database may be corrupt

ignoring bgrt: invalid status 0 (expected 1)

acpi ppc proble failed

I'm not sure what this means, but I suspect it to be a problem with hardware compatibility/drivers or a setting in my bios. I'd really appreciate any help.

Kind Regards,
    Josh

Beans

Re: Install Error Code [ 3.42990] ACPI PCC probe failed

On the ACPI message, it just an advisory that a check for PCC failed to find it. Occurs with newer kernels 3.16(?) and 3.19 I think. I see it too on a couple of our computers. You can google the error ("ACPI PCC Probe Failed") and find details, including what PCC stands for. It doesn't mean anything is wrong. Why we are forced to see this message on every boot is a good question.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 24th, 2015 at 09:36 PM.

Beans

Ok thanks for the response. I will do some more research. I can get the installer to load, but I can't get an install up and running. I've tried the demo and get the afore mentioned error. As well, I've tried just a straight install. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried booting with nomodeset enabled? At the menu screen, press F5 and select nomodeset, then press esc to continue booting.

Beans

I tried that. Do I type that in? Keeps telling me kernel not found when I type it in and hit enter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by josh134 View Post
    I tried that. Do I type that in? Keeps telling me kernel not found when I type it in and hit enter.
    I think cariboo meant F6 and a list of options should appear.

Press down arrow to nomodeset and hit enter.An X should appear next to the option.

Then press Esc to exit menu.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I don't have drop down options on the menu you mentioned Plucky. I can see different options to type in, but not to scroll through from what I can tell.

I've been using the suggested bootable usb builder pendrive linux I believe. I have the option in the bios to boot to eufi for my usb or in regular mode with the usb. If I boot regular I get multiple options i.e. boot parameters, help, advanced, etc. If I boot in eufi I get only a few options install ubuntu, try ubuntu, oem install for manufacturers, and check disc for defects. Is this what I am supposed to be seeing?

I've also tried using different usb ports on my machine. Not sure if that helps or not.

Beans

Do you all think I should format the drive I plan to install it on first? I am not sure how to attach screen shots I have taken of the problem, but if I could that would probably help give a clearer picture of what is going on.

Beans

"Solved" Good News! I was able to install Ubuntu from a CD. I have no idea why I couldn't get it to boot from the USB, but that's a battle for another day. Thank you all for the assistance.
    Last edited by josh134; May 29th, 2015 at 06:54 PM.