Thread: seeing bios screens from inside of os

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

seeing bios screens from inside of os

i was wondering if the was some way (w/o using bios key at bootup) to run the bios program from inside of ubuntu. i as i said in another post my monitor is broke on my laptop and i can't see to do anything bios wise. i do have my system to use an external monitor but only w/n ubuntu, still can't see the computer's boot screen and bios screens tho. is there a way to bring up the bios screens from inside ubuntu so i can change settings in it? the external comes on once ubuntu starts, can't even see the grub screen. while i suspect the answer to be no, just thought i'd ask. thanx.

Beans

Re: seeing bios screens from inside of os

Quote Originally Posted by wyndlass View Post
    i was wondering if the was some way (w/o using bios key at bootup) to run the bios program from inside of ubuntu.
    AFAIK, no.

Quote Originally Posted by wyndlass View Post
    can't even see the grub screen.
    I suspect that MIGHT be fixable without getting into the bios. I'm not all certain but it might repay your time to look up configuring grub. Might be some video options that would allow you to see grub. I presume it is a manner of redefining STDOUT, but I'm just guessing.

You might want to try different external monitors, maybe including some real old one, that uses some legacy standard.

This sounds like a real catch 32 - before you can use the bios utility, you need to make an adjustment in the bios utililty, but before you can do that . . .

If you had another machine with the same bios, you might could use it as a guide and make the changes blind. It is also conceivable that you might be able to open the case and disconnect the built in monitor (I presume this is a laptop) and connect the external monitor to whatever connection the monitor made inside the case. Sorry I can't think of anything more likely to help ATM.

I'll be interested to see what other suggestions are made and what results you get. Good luck.
    Last edited by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice; December 16th, 2015 at 11:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: seeing bios screens from inside of os

i already have the internal monitor unplugged. i'll look into the grub standard out thing. i don't have access to another computer like mine. yes it's a laptop. thanx for the idea dreamer.