Thread: Proxy with DHCP?

Beans

Proxy with DHCP?

Just a quick question that I couldn't resolve by googling it...

I just set up a squid/squidguard poxy server (Ubuntu server 14.04) with two NIC cards, to do content filtering for my teenage boys, for our home.
    The squid proxy box will sit in between the Internet modem and the Linksys wireless router (with its own dhcp server).

Do I need to install a dhcp server on my proxy/squid box, to generate an IP for the Linksys router, or am I okay to just configure a static IP on the NIC facing the Linksys router?

I just have a vanilla Ubuntu 14.04 installation, and have not installed anything else. Anything I am missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Proxy with DHCP?

if the Squid proxy is between the local network and the router, then it needs to run a DHCP server. Machines on the local network won't be able to see the router in this configuration.

What about other services like HTTPS? Any other things people behind the Squid box might need to do besides browse the web? If so, the box will need to have "masquerading" and packet forwarding enabled as well. See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing

You'll also want to look into "transparent" proxying. Otherwise you'll need to configure the browsers on the client machines to use the proxy. Intelligent kids will learn right away to disable that and avoid the proxy entirely.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 18th, 2015 at 11:08 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Proxy with DHCP?

Thank you!!!