Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: firefox crash on some html5 video while chrome does not

Beans

Re: firefox crash on some html5 video while chrome does not

I can confirm cosy2 is not hallucinating (and neither is their FF crash reporter). I've been having the same problem - Firefox crashing on HTML5 videos - for a couple of months now.

The status page for YouTube's HTML5 check also looks identical (bottom 3 are red). I also doubt this is a (purely) hardware problem, since, again similarly to cosy2's situation, all videos run fine in Chrome.

Here's a crash dump resulting from opening the URL mc4man linked, with a fresh profile, and all extensions and plugins disabled:
    https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/repo...b-f99db2150527

(Note the different thread stack - then again, I have a different graphics driver, and I'm on KDE)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The link in the first post is not to HTML video (which isn't a format anyway ), but a direct link to Ogg Theora video file. (The page where the link is located does use HTML5 video tag to display the same clip in-page, so if you want to test HTML5 video then go to the page, not to the video clip itself).

Youtube uses different video format, WebM, and as mentioned any settings in Youtube won't have anything to do with the playback of the video file in the original post (In fact the Youtube's HTML5 test doesn't even test for the Ogg format since Youtube doesn't use it, making the test completely irrelevant for this thread). Playing back that file is exactly the same as downloading the video clip and opening it on your browser instead of the video player.

...And that is pretty much the pitfall of "HTML5" video, there actually isn't such thing. There's a HTML5 tag for embedding video files on web ages, but the video format (and other related features) supported depends on which browser you happen to be using.

Anyway, the video clip in question plays fine for me, as it should since support for Ogg Theora video format is built in to Firefox. Problems playing back the video sound more likely a hardware/video driver issue, but of course trying a fresh Firefox profile might be worth doing.

Beans

mcduck: true on the video format front ("HTML5 video" is used as a shorthand, and not only by the OP but also by e.g. YouTube itself), but as already noted:

- the crash is triggered every time, even with a fresh profile (at least in my case),
    - the problem does not occur in other browsers (in both OP's case and mine) so it's highly unlikely that a (purely) hardware/driver issue is at play.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"OGV" extension:
    http://www.online-convert.com/file-format/ogv

With the following info:
    On Webpages, OGV files are often used to play videos using the HTML5 < video > tag. Generally, these videos are referenced as being OGG files in the HTML source even though the underlying file format is OGV.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

the crash report seems to be related to a gstreamer library, and there seems to be some issues with gstreamer and ffmpeg/libav built with certain options.

Have you tried downloading the video clip and playing it from your desktop (using any gstreamer-based media player, for example the default video player on Unity/Gnome)? Or you could try disabling gstreamer in Firefox settings (enter "about:config" in the address bar, search for "media.gstreamer.enabled" and toggle it to "false")

(I'm not using Chrome myself, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it just brings it's own video codecs with it instead of using gstreamer, which would explain why it can play the video even if Firefox and desktop players crash)

Beans

Bonjour, j'ai le même problème depuis quelques temps avec Firefox, plantage complet ou erreur de script sur les pages html5, pour Youtube il faut savoir qu'il y a eu une mise à niveau vers html5 ce qui rend en plus le navigateur Youtube smplayer complètement osbolète??
    Merci pour votre aide si quelqu'un à une solution. Mais il est évident que depuis 1 semaine Firefox n'arrête pas de planter.
    Je suis sous Ubuntu 15.04 voilà ma config:

Beans

Voilà en écrivant replantage de Firefox donc ma config gil-Compaq-CQ58-Notebook-PC , mémoire 3,5 Gio, AMD E1-1500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 2, carte graphique Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM, OS 64 bits. Merci pour votre aide. Sachant que j'ai essayé avec une version antérieure de Firefox: même problème avec une wifi stable.
    Cordialement

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@ gil-delahousse - this forum is English speaking, for support option in French please see http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-fr/

ce forum est anglophone, pour l'option de support en français s'il vous plaît voir http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-fr/

Beans

Talking Re: firefox crash on some html5 video while chrome does not

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    the crash report seems to be related to a gstreamer library, and there seems to be some issues with gstreamer and ffmpeg/libav built with certain options.

Have you tried downloading the video clip and playing it from your desktop (using any gstreamer-based media player, for example the default video player on Unity/Gnome)? Or you could try disabling gstreamer in Firefox settings (enter "about:config" in the address bar, search for "media.gstreamer.enabled" and toggle it to "false")

[...]
    Heh, I wasn't even aware of such an option, toggling "media.gstreamer.enabled" off has indeed stopped the crashes! All videos tested so far load and play fine as well. Thank you very much, mcduck!

By the way, I've tried opening the test video in all video players (including Totem), and that played fine - still indicating a Firefox-specific issue. In fairness, I suspect a reason for the problem might be a presence of some legacy AV libs required to run the Spotify client.

Nevertheless, thanks again!

PS. Note that I have unintentionally hijacked this thread, as the OP's (cosy2) crash report does not indicate an immediate problem with gstreamer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12