Thread: Chromecast TO Ubuntu

Beans

Chromecast TO Ubuntu

Is it possible for me to connect my Chromecast TO my ubuntu computer in order to receive audio and video from the Chromecast device?

Beans

Re: Chromecast TO Ubuntu

what ?
    chromecast is just a client/receiver it don't have a server as far as i know.
    if your trying to hack it, your in the wrong place, the forum frowns on hacking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Cline View Post
    Is it possible for me to connect my Chromecast TO my ubuntu computer in order to receive audio and video from the Chromecast device?
    I have a Chromecast and I play videos stored on my Ubuntu Laptop through Videostream application on Google Chrome on TV. The Chromecast is on same wifi as the Ubuntu Laptop but I need an Android phone to configure the Chromecast to connect on wifi.

Your question is not clear. Chromecast does not store any audio or video it just plays them.

Kamalakar
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans

Not trying to hack anything here just solve a problem and I am exploring all my option. Here is the full story:
    I have whole house audio but I do not like the remote interface. There are many apps which have great interfaces for audio like youtube or pandora and they can be cast via Chromecast. I can definitely cast to my TV but I would like to cast to something with an audio output and my Ubuntu media computer is perfect for it. So I am trying to substitute the TV for the computer.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi Steve_Cline.

You would need a way to receive both video and audio. Something like this: Magewell HDMI to USB 3.0 Video Capture Dongle (works on Linux).

Just a thought.
    Regards.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not yet interested in spending $300 on the solution but I will keep it in mind if nothing else works.

Beans

papibe -

You got me started looking for this type of solution and found something that fits the bill for much less:http://www.amazon.com/BlackRock-Adap.../dp/B00I4A12JG

I am going to buy this today and see if it works. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

That looks very interesting. Please let us know how that works for you.

Regards.