Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 15.04 to 15.10: Fresh install or Upgrade?

Beans

Ubuntu 15.04 to 15.10: Fresh install or Upgrade?

Hi everyone,

I finally got my printer working last week (HPLIP 3.15.4) and Ubuntu 15.04 is so quite and stable (no problem at all) that I wish to try Wily Werewolf. Should I Upgrade via software updater or do a fresh install.? Running Vivid alone, what should I do?.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 15.04 to 15.10: Fresh install or Upgrade?

Ubuntu 15.10 is not available via Software Updater but there is a huge patch of 150Mb if you check Pre-released updates (Vivid-proposed). Last time I did that (Ubuntu 15.04 B2) my computer crash. This time it didn't. and kernel is at 3.19.0.17. So will do a fresh install later on this week to see that gipsywort again.
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    3.19.0-17-generic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want to upgrade your current install in a terminal, use the following command:

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/vivid/wily/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans

Thanks for the upgrade terminal commands, will try it first tonight. Bur I already built a MKUSB stick (1.01GB): Download the daily image (AMD64) of Ubuntu 15.10 from here:
    Built the ISO image from there (Stable Version of MKUSB): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/v9#Installation
    When correctly built the ISO image contains 14 files, including the purple one wubi.exe and the code name is Wily Werewolf Alpha AMD64.

Made an error, the link for the daily image of Ubuntu 15.10 is not the good one (I erase it). This is the one: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/20150511/
    Thanks to: Mateusz Stachowski

Regards,
    Last edited by MikeMecanic; May 13th, 2015 at 05:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMecanic View Post
    the code name is Wily Werewolf Alpha AMD64.

Regards,
    That should be pre-alpha

Beans
    Hidden!

I tested live and made fresh installs from the Lubuntu desktop and alternate iso files. I flashed the iso files to USB with mkusb. The basic things work as they should (but I found an issue with cryptswap in the test-case Alternate Install (Encryption), which is a regression since Vivid).

Edit: cryptswap works again in the current daily build
    Last edited by sudodus; May 13th, 2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: testcase updated: Vivid --> Wily

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMecanic View Post
    Thanks for the upgrade terminal commands, will try it first tonight. Bur I already built a MKUSB stick (1.01GB): Download the daily image (AMD64) of Ubuntu 15.10 from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-des...-live/current/
    Built the ISO image from there (Stable Version of MKUSB): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/v9#Installation
    When correctly built the ISO image contains 14 files, including the purple one wubi.exe and the code name is Wily Werewolf Alpha AMD64.

Regards,
    You downloaded Ubuntu Desktop Next this flavour has Unity 8 and Mir. Currently it isn't usable on desktop so don't install that.

The regular Ubuntu with Unity 7 is here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

but that still has only Vivid images. In pending there are Wily images:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/pending/

Beans

Hi Mike,

Hope you are using 15.10 for testing and not as your main OS.

Breakage will happen over the cycle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you want my opinion, I would not run any development release as the only version of Ubuntu on my system. If 15.04 is working fine for you and you want to try out the future 15.10, then dual boot with it. I have found that the development version has been very stable for the last few cycles but that does not mean that we may not need to re-install to clear away something that is broken.

To give an example. On one of my vivid installs the switch over to systemd gave an unacceptably long loading time. I was not interested in tracking the problem down so, I re-installed.

Also keep in mind that it seems that we shall have 2 versions of 15.10 to test for Ubuntu at least. One version built on Debian packages and updated using apt-get just like every version of Ubuntu that we have seen and a version of Ubuntu built on Ubuntu snappy core. I think that the only way to get that version is from an install of an ISO image which we are many weeks away from getting. And it will be a long time before Ubuntu Snappy Desktop will be the equal of the present Ubuntu Desktop. But an interesting journey anyway.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Got it according to Upgrade Terminal Commands of post # 3 and it's a very long upgrade. Thanks to Cariboo

Code:
    ibm@IBM:~$ unity --version
    unity 7.3.2
    ibm@IBM:~$  lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu Wily Werewolf (development branch)
    Release:	15.10
    Codename:	wily
    ibm@IBM:~$  uname -a
    Linux IBM 3.19.0-17-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 6 16:46:12 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    ibm@IBM:~$
    It is not shown in About This Computer: Vivid is still there.
    Stable and nothing abnormal...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast