Thread: synaptic funky search

Beans

synaptic funky search

Does anyone notice that synaptic is kind of behaving strangely in 15.04? It often (not always) takes an unusually long time for quick filter to "rebuild search index" and then often it doesn't find packages? e.g I couldn't find curl in synaptic (only libcurl shows up) but sudo apt-get install curl works
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 9th, 2015 at 09:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: synaptic funky search

I noticed some strange behaviour the first day, the quick filter was opening as a separate window, but all was normal the next day. I did find curl which was needed for conky weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

No one else is having issues with searching and rebuilding search index?

Beans

This happens sporadically, sometimes it doesn't find things.. for example, if I click qt and look at the 'uninstall' section it is empty (certainly I did not install all qt packages) and then restart synaptic and the section is full. Sometimes 'rebuilding search index' takes a long time I just kill it, then restart and it seems normal. It is as though it has problem finding the server. I switched server from main to Canada and then back a few time the problem persists, but not always, only kind of on and off.

Does anyone have the same experience. I know a lot of people use synaptic it would be odd that this only happens to me (it is a clean install, not even an old /home partition)

Beans

Well I am not crazy, something is wrong and I have figured it out. Got hit by something going back to "jaunty" https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ic/+bug/288797

Same fix works.

Code:
    sudo update-apt-xapian-index
    It has been a day since I ran this command and have rebooted a dozen of times, synaptic has been working normally and consistently so I am marking this thread as solved.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 21st, 2015 at 11:19 AM.