Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

Beans

Cool How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

For this Tutorial, there are some Assumptions:

1. You can format your usb drive (did you do a backup?)
    2. Your USB drive is the /dev/sdb device (You can check yours with sudo fdisk -l or using Gparted)
    3. Your USB drive will be mounted at /mnt
    4. You are using a Ubuntu distro (any Ubuntu flavour) - Could be a live session (LiveCD)
    5. You are logged with the first user (setted at installation or live session default)
    6. You are not afraid of Linux Command Interface

First Step: Format USB drive

To create a EFI firmware compatible boot drive, you need a GPT partition table and at least one FAT32 partition. Do as follows...

sudo apt-get install gdisk
    sudo sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sdb
    You probably need to remove and insert the USB drive again at this point for the kernel to update information about it...

sudo sgdisk --new=1:0:0 --typecode=1:ef00 /dev/sdb
    sudo mkfs.vfat -F32 -n GRUB2EFI /dev/sdb1
    We are done with Step One, you can check modifications with sudo parted -l or with Gparted.

Second Step: Copy files and Set directory structure

Let's mount the usb drive...
    sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt -o uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=022
    To make life easier, I created a pack with all necessary files for you to modify as you need. If you don't trust my files, create yours using this page as reference. Link to Download is: http://webativo.com/uploads/files/usb-pack_efi.zip

Extract the zip file and paste those inner files using Command Line Interface or a file manager you like.
    cd ~/Downloads/
    unzip usb-pack_efi.zip
    rsync -auv usb-pack_efi/ /mnt
    The most important files are bootia32.efi to boot on 32bit machines, bootx64.efi to boot on 64bit machines and grub.cfg to setup grub to load ISOs or chainload to other paths.

In the end, you might get a directory tree like this:

Third Step: Install GRUB2 on the drive

sudo grub-install --removable --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --efi-directory=/mnt/EFI/BOOT /dev/sdb
    PS: Grub2 installation might throw some error messages, just ignore it.
    PS: If you have problems to copy and paste content on /mnt, you can use sudo to do it

Fourth Step: Setup ISOs to be loaded

Put (copy) the .iso files you want to load in /mnt/iso/ and setup grub.cfg like the existing examples...

Note that the most important variable to set is isofile. There is lots of examples on the web about how to configure grub2 menu. Use # to comment those lines you don't want to use, e.g. to hide a configuration of absent .iso at /iso.

Last Step: Configure firmware and Test

First and most important, deactivate secure boot on your computer's firmware. Search on the web if you don't know how.

To boot the USB drive you can set your machine firmware to search first for the USB device (boot order). Or you can choose what drive to boot as soon as you turn on your computer. Each manufacturer has its own keys to do it. Search for your machine's manual if needed.
    Last edited by sysmatck; June 10th, 2015 at 11:38 PM. Reason: correction...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

I tested your multiboot system in my Toshiba laptop, my only computer with UEFI.

http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satell...-pro-c850-19w/

It works well in UEFI mode

Comments and tips:

1. If the user has two other mass storage devices connected, there is a risk that valuable data on

/dev/sdb

will be overwritten. Maybe the template should have

/dev/sdx

instead, and the user should change x to what it should be.

2. The grub-install command lacks a space between the boot directory and the device, should be

Code:
    sudo grub-install --removable --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --efi-directory=/mnt/EFI/BOOT /dev/sdb

3. Maybe it would help to suggest an rsync command to copy the content of the zipfile to the pendrive, for example

extract files:

Code:
    unzip usb-pack_efi
    copy files:

Code:
    sudo rsync -Havn usb-pack_efi/ /mnt
    or an advanced unzip command line to do it directly.

4. I modified grub.cfg and could boot from the following iso files

kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
    ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
    xubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

Notice that I could also boot the 32-bit Xubuntu system in UEFI mode.

5. But I could only boot in UEFI mode, not in BIOS mode alias CSM.

I did not even get to the grub menu in BIOS mode. Did I miss something? Have you managed to boot in BIOS mode with this system? Or is it an UEFI-only system?

6. My computer has problems with the graphics when UEFI mode and rescue mode, I think it is because of nomodeset and I do not blame your multiboot system for it. I tried with and without gfxpayload without success.

7. My modified grub.cfg:

Code:
    submenu "Boot em HD " {
        #menuentry "Reboot em USB" {
        #    set root="(hd0)"
        #    chainloader +1
        #}
        menuentry "HD1 MBR" {
            set root="(hd1)"
            chainloader +1
        }
        menuentry "HD1 Particao 1" {
            set root="(hd1,msdos1)"
            chainloader +1
        }
        menuentry "HD1 Particao 2" {
            set root="(hd1,msdos2)"
            chainloader +1
        }
        menuentry "HD1 Particao 3" {
            set root="(hd1,msdos3)"
            chainloader +1
        }
        menuentry "HD2 MBR" {
            set root="(hd2)"
            chainloader +1
        }
        menuentry "HD2 Particao 1" {
            set root="(hd2,msdos1)"
            chainloader +1
        }
        menuentry "HD2 Particao 2" {
            set root="(hd2,msdos2)"
            chainloader +1
        }
        menuentry "HD2 Particao 3" {
            set root="(hd2,msdos3)"
            chainloader +1
        }
    }

menuentry "Grub4dos - HBCD+"{
        # mudar (hd0,2) ou outros para diferentes computadores...

setroot=(hd0,1)
        linux /boot/grub4dos/grub.exe
    }

submenu "Teste de Memoria" {
        menuentry "memtest86+ 4.20" {
            linux16 /boot/memtest/memtest.bin
        }
        menuentry "memtest86+-5.01" {
            linux16 /boot/memtest/memtest86+-5.01.bin
        }
    }

menuentry 'Kubuntu 14.04.1 amd64' {
        set isofile="/iso/kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso"
        loopback loop $isofile
        linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile liveimg noprompt noeject quiet splash --
        initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }

submenu "submenu Kubuntu 14.04.1" {
        menuentry 'Kubuntu 14.04.1 amd64 (failsafe)' {
            set isofile="/iso/kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso"
            loopback loop $isofile
    #        set gfxpayload=800x600x16,800x600
            linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile liveimg noeject nomodeset noapic --
        }
    }
    menuentry 'Ubuntu 14.04.2 amd64' {
        set isofile="/iso/ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso"
        loopback loop $isofile
        linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile liveimg noprompt noeject quiet splash --
    }

submenu "submenu Ubuntu 14.04.2" {
        menuentry 'Ubuntu 14.04.2 amd64 (failsafe)' {
            set isofile="/iso/ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso"
            loopback loop $isofile
            linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile liveimg noeject nomodeset noapic --
        }
    }

menuentry "Xubuntu 14.04.1 i386" {
            set isofile="/iso/xubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso"
        loopback loop $isofile
        linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile liveimg noprompt noeject quiet splash --
    }

submenu "submenu Xubuntu 14.04.1 i386" {
        menuentry 'Xubuntu 14.04.1 i386 (failsafe)' {
            set isofile="/iso/xubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso"
            loopback loop $isofile
            linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile liveimg noeject nomodeset noapic --
        }
    }

Beans

Thankyou for testing sudodus! I'm glad it works for you (with needed ajustments)

1- I wrote an introduction for for this tutorial, I called it Assumption #2, where I observe this path issue. I prefer people to understand what they are doing, and sometimes is hard to figure exactly what users must type to get things done...

2- I just edited the post, and I corrected the command inserting the lacking space. I edited this post couple times, I suppose I removed accidentally on one of them...

3- Yes, I guess suggesting this commands is better (for the sake of completion), I'm glad you did it. I did not do it because I usually extract using GUI.

4- Nice! And good that you are also sharing the grub.cfg for others to use!

5- This is UEFI only system. But I guess it is possible to do a GRUB2 for both on a single drive. I also use something very similar to boot CSM using ext4 partitions. The downside of this (EFI) is that we must use a FAT32 partition to boot, so, if using a single FAT32 on a 32gb drive (just an example), you will be limited to 4gb max file size... I guess using two partitions will be a much more interesting solution for this "dual mode" boot device...

6- Hum... Research needed. There might have a kernel parameter that solves your problem...

Tnx! I will reply to this thread if I have some news or better ways to create this boot device (maybe on "dual mode"...)
    Last edited by sysmatck; May 22nd, 2015 at 02:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I noticed and reviewed your steps but have not tried it.
    I have UEFI install and just copied folders from my /EFI/Boot & /EFI/ubuntu onto flash drive.

With ISO I use grub2's loopmount, but invariable change to a newer ISO or add an ISO and forget to run sudo update-grub or edit grub.cfg.

I now use a configfile to call a text file in my ISO folder.

Code:
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod fat
    set root='hd0,msdos1'

menuentry 'Live ISOs' {
    configfile (hd0,1)/iso/livecdimage.cfg
    }
    Then the livecdimage.cfg is just another boot stanza, but can be edited at will without updating grub.

Code:
    # livecdimage.cfg
    # Add this to 40_custom to load this file:
    # menuentry 'Live ISOs' {
    # configfile (hd2,4)/iso/livecdimage.cfg
    #} 
    # Add iso names to livecdimage.cfg
    #for i in `ls *.iso`;do echo "# "$i>>livecdimage.cfg; done;

menuentry "gparted (Boot ISO Image via Grub2) " {
        insmod part_gpt
        set isofile="/iso/gparted-live-0.19.1-1-amd64.iso"
        loopback loop (hd0,1)$isofile
        linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config union=aufs noswap noprompt ip=frommedia findiso=$isofile toram=filesystem.squashfs
        initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
    }

menuentry "Mini Ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop" {
        set isofile="/iso/mini.iso"
        insmod part_gpt
        loopback loop (hd0,1)$isofile 
        linux (loop)/vmlinux boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile nomodeset
        initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
    }
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

A USB multiboot pendrive that boots in UEFI and BIOS mode,
    and that boots 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.

I continued tweaking the USB pendrive according to post #2.

0. Perform the tasks in post #1 and #2 in UEFI mode

I performed the tasks in post #1 and #2 in UEFI mode.

1. Boot another Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS desktop (64-bit) system into BIOS mode

Now I switched my computer (Toshiba laptop) to CSM alias BIOS mode and booted into a pendrive with Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS desktop (64-bit). Boot another system, not the target pendrive.

2. Install grub in BIOS mode

I ran the following commands to install grub in BIOS mode. It complained but worked when forced, and did not overwrite the boot system for UEFI mode. Check carefully the device id for your multiboot pendrive, so that you do not overwrite any valuable data!

Code:
    sudo lsblk -fm
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdx1 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --force --removable --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdx
    In my case x was b, so I could use

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --force --removable --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdb
    3. Enjoy the result

That's all. These simple operations managed to make the multiboot pendrive boot in both UEFI and BIOS mode. So now it is possible to use this pendrive to boot 'any computer' from an old 32-bit computer (in BIOS mode) to a new computer in BIOS mode as well as in UEFI mode. (But if the manufacturer has tweaked the UEFI system beyond the standard for UEFI, it might be hard to boot anything except Windows.)

I tested and can run Xubuntu (xubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso) in these computers

http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satell...-pro-c850-19w/, Intel i5, 64-bit: UEFI and BIOS, bought 2013
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2NVM_DVI/, AMD Athlon 64 X2, 64-bit: BIOS, bought 2008
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...i/sm/specs.htm, Pentium 4, 32-bit: BIOS, bought 2004

We know since before how to make it boot in UEFI mode. The following commands and output from the commands were run in a Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4 processor, which is a 32-bit system, that runs in BIOS mode.

Code:
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -class cpu
      *-cpu                   
           description: CPU
           product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
           vendor: Intel Corp.
           physical id: 400
           bus info: cpu@0
           version: 15.2.9
           slot: Microprocessor
           size: 2800MHz
           capacity: 3200MHz
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 533MHz
           capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
           configuration: id=0
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ uname -a
    Linux xubuntu 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:12 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
    Release:    14.04
    Codename:    trusty
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ sudo lsblk -fm
    NAME   FSTYPE   LABEL                    MOUNTPOINT NAME     SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
    sda                                                 sda    111.8G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda1                                              ├─sda1     1K root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda2 ntfs     winxp                               ├─sda2  79.8G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda5 swap                              [SWAP]     ├─sda5     4G root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─sda6 ext4     ToriOS-i386                         └─sda6    28G root  disk  brw-rw----
    sdb                                                 sdb    111.8G root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─sdb1 ntfs     Backup                              └─sdb1 111.8G root  disk  brw-rw----
    sdc                                                 sdc     14.6G root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─sdc1 vfat     GRUB2EFI                 /isodevice └─sdc1  14.6G root  disk  brw-rw----
    sr0                                                 sr0     1024M root  cdrom brw-rw----
    sr1                                                 sr1     1024M root  cdrom brw-rw----
    loop0  iso9660  Xubuntu 14.04.1 LTS i386 /cdrom     loop0    916M root  disk  brw-rw----
    loop1  squashfs                          /rofs      loop1  883.8M root  disk  brw-rw----
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ ls -l /isodevice/*
    /isodevice/boot:
    total 24
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 8192 May 22 11:16 grub
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 8192 May  2 17:46 grub4dos
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 8192 May  2 17:46 memtest

/isodevice/EFI:
    total 8
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 8192 May  2 17:48 BOOT

/isodevice/iso:
    total 3011408
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1078804480 May 22 10:35 kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1044381696 May 22 10:34 ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  960495616 May 22 10:35 xubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ df 
    Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /cow              772216   98480    673736  13% /
    udev              761528       4    761524   1% /dev
    tmpfs             154444    1068    153376   1% /run
    /dev/sdc1       15309832 3019472  12290360  20% /isodevice
    /dev/loop0        937984  937984         0 100% /cdrom
    /dev/loop1        905088  905088         0 100% /rofs
    none                   4       0         4   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs             772216       8    772208   1% /tmp
    none                5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
    none              772216      80    772136   1% /run/shm
    none              102400      24    102376   1% /run/user
    xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ find /isodevice/ -ls|grep -v /isodevice/boot/grub/i386-pc/
         1    8 drwxr-xr-x   5 root     root         8192 Jan  1  1970 /isodevice/
         7    8 drwxr-xr-x   5 root     root         8192 May  2 17:46 /isodevice/boot
        12    8 drwxr-xr-x   5 root     root         8192 May 22 11:16 /isodevice/boot/grub
        28   24 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root        24576 Jun  7 05:13 /isodevice/boot/grub/i386-pc
       300    8 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         8192 Jun  7 05:13 /isodevice/boot/grub/locale
      1439    8 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         1032 Jun  7 05:13 /isodevice/boot/grub/locale/en_AU.mo
      1440    8 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          587 Jun  7 05:13 /isodevice/boot/grub/locale/en_CA.mo
      1441    8 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         4464 Jun  7 05:13 /isodevice/boot/grub/locale/en_GB.mo
      1442  128 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       130811 Jun  7 05:13 /isodevice/boot/grub/locale/es.mo
      1443   32 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        31315 Jun  7 05:13 /isodevice/boot/grub/locale/zh_CN.mo
       306    8 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         8192 May 22 10:27 /isodevice/boot/grub/fonts
      1445 2352 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      2405285 Jun  7 05:13 /isodevice/boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2
      1446    8 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         2827 May 22 11:24 /isodevice/boot/grub/grub.cfg
      1447    8 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         1024 May 22 10:27 /isodevice/boot/grub/grubenv
      1448    8 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         2125 Jan  6 16:10 /isodevice/boot/grub/menu.lst
      1449    8 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         3894 May 22 11:10 /isodevice/boot/grub/grub.cfg~
        13    8 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         8192 May  2 17:46 /isodevice/boot/grub4dos
      1452  232 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       234697 Mar 31  2009 /isodevice/boot/grub4dos/grub.exe
      1453  216 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       217769 Mar 31  2009 /isodevice/boot/grub4dos/g2ldr
        14    8 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         8192 May  2 17:46 /isodevice/boot/memtest
      1456  152 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       150024 Aug 23  2013 /isodevice/boot/memtest/memtest86+-5.01.bin
      1457  168 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       164504 Jan 23  2011 /isodevice/boot/memtest/memtest.bin
         8    8 drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         8192 May  2 17:48 /isodevice/EFI
        16    8 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         8192 May  2 17:48 /isodevice/EFI/BOOT
      1460  608 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       621056 Apr 28 13:51 /isodevice/EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi
      1461  904 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       920064 Apr 29 20:38 /isodevice/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi
         3    8 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         8192 May 22 10:38 /isodevice/iso
        19 1053520 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root     1078804480 May 22 10:35 /isodevice/iso/kubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
        20 1019904 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root     1044381696 May 22 10:34 /isodevice/iso/ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
         4 937984 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root     960495616 May 22 10:35 /isodevice/iso/xubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso
    I think that /isodevice/EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi makes it possible to boot 32-bit systems while /isodevice/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi makes it possible to boot 64-bit systems (in UEFI mode). Please correct me if I am wrong.

4. Welcome to test this multiboot system

We need long time testing by several users to find out if this system is stable, that it continues working in the long run.

Follow the instructions in this thread if you want to learn how to make a single boot or multiboot system for UEFI & BIOS, 32-bit & 64 bit systems. But if you want to make such a pendrive quickly, with Lubuntu 14.04.2 desktop 32-bit ISO file, you can get a compressed image file and install it according to the following link,

A smaller and simpler pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers - 'grub-n-iso'
    Last edited by sudodus; June 9th, 2015 at 02:21 AM.

Beans

Hello Nio,

I did as you instructed and it works for me too! I tested on my Asus X54C, activating and deactivating the UEFI boot mode. I can boot on both modes... I will test this on old machines that has no UEFI and I will report results here...

I guess it is possible to force grub2 to install on i386 mode, or something like this on a UEFI booted system, so we could skip step 1 by adding some additional parameters to installation command. I need to check this out!

Beans

The additional grub2 possible parameters are: --target=i386-pc or --target=x86_64-efi

I will try this again later. Let me test the drive as it is on old hardware first...

Beans
    Hidden!

As far as I can tell, this provides a simple method to create 'One pendrive for all computers', a truly portable pendrive, and with persistence you can carry your computer environment (added software, tweaks and personal files) in your pocket

Beans

Ok, I just tested on some other machines... Works like a charm!

BIOS Motherboards:
    ASRock G31M-VS
    MSI G31M3-V2
    Asus P6KPL-AM
    Foxconn M61PMV
    ASRock 980DE3/U3S3

Beans
    Hidden!

I made the USB boot drive and tested it in my Toshiba with UEFI and BIOS. I tested it in my daughter's HP ProBook 6450b (also with UEFI and BIOS)

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/p...r_na-c02218879

And I tested it in older computers with only BIOS, even an old Dell with Pentium 4 (32-bit). The same pendrive with a Lubuntu 32-bit iso file works in all the computers and modes (BIOS and UEFI) where I have tested it.

- There is a hardware limit. The computer may be too weak to boot a current version of Lubuntu, or there is some hardware, for example graphics chip, where the available drivers do not work. But then it is possible to include iso files for other linux distros. See the following list that describes how to configure grub for several distros

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...boot_USB_drive

- Another limit is where the system is so locked down by a non-standard UEFI system, that nothing but Windows works.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast