Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Beans
    33

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    Quote Originally Posted by sysmatck View Post
    For this Tutorial, there are some Assumptions:
    1. You can format your usb drive (did you do a backup?)
    2. Your USB drive is the /dev/sdb device (You can check yours with sudo fdisk -l or using Gparted)
    3. Your USB drive will be mounted at /mnt
    4. You are using a Ubuntu distro (any Ubuntu flavour) - Could be a live session (LiveCD)
    5. You are logged with the first user (setted at installation or live session default)
    6. You are not afraid of Linux Command Interface

    First Step: Format USB drive computer. Each manufacturer has its own keys to do it. Search for your machine's manual if needed.
    Hey when I do gdisk zap all, I get an error number 2. Did not wipe out MBR. I went on with the tutorial to the letter and my USB wil not boot. It pauses never showingthe USB grub.cfg then falls back to the main PC grub2 menu. Any ideas?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Beans
    33

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    Quote Originally Posted by sysmatck View Post
    For this Tutorial, there are some Assumptions:


    1. You can format your usb drive (did you do a backup?)
    2. Your USB drive is the /dev/sdb device (You can check yours with sudo fdisk -l or using Gparted)
    3. Your USB drive will be mounted at /mnt
    4. You are using a Ubuntu distro (any Ubuntu flavour) - Could be a live session (LiveCD)
    5. You are logged with the first user (setted at installation or live session default)
    6. You are not afraid of Linux Command Interface




    First Step: Format USB drive
    computer. Each manufacturer has its own keys to do it. Search for your machine's manual if needed.

    Hey when I do gdisk zap all, I get an error number 2. Did not wipe out MBR. I went on with the tutorial to the letter and my USB wil not boot.
    It pauses never showing the USB grub.cfg then falls back to the main PC grub2 menu.

    Any ideas?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Beans
    33

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    Hey Sysmatck! I have installed the bootlaoder to a new USB just as you have described here but cant boot to a grub menu in bios.
    I did get an error messsage after gdisk zap all had run as follows : Warning MBR was not removed error 2.
    Any suggestions?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    25

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    Quote Originally Posted by Sbininit View Post
    Hey Sysmatck! I have installed the bootlaoder to a new USB just as you have described here but cant boot to a grub menu in bios.
    I did get an error messsage after gdisk zap all had run as follows : Warning MBR was not removed error 2.
    Any suggestions?
    Yes there is something you can try. Using Gparted, go to menu "Devices" -> "Create partition Table". Choose GPT option. This is it, but remember, this will make empty everything on your drive... Always backup!

    If you want to try any different command or understand better gdisk, follow this link
    Last edited by sysmatck; May 9th, 2016 at 03:01 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Beans
    33

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    Quote Originally Posted by sysmatck View Post
    Yes there is something you can try. Using Gparted, go to menu "Devices" -> "Create partition Table". Choose GPT option. This is it, but remember, this will make empty everything on your drive... Always backup!

    If you want to try any different command or understand better gdisk, follow this link
    When I go through the instructions at the front of this thread and look in hexedit /dev/sdc1 I see this drive is not bootable.
    Is that the way it should read?

    I have no UEFI machine to boot it in now that I know of unless one of the lap tops around here happens to be so.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Beans
    33

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    Testdisk fixed my MBR after everything else failed.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    Quote Originally Posted by Sbininit View Post
    Testdisk fixed my MBR after everything else failed.
    Good Job and thanks for posting your solution.
    Regards

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Beans
    33

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    Will older BIOS systems boot an EFI fromatted linux flash drive that boots up just like a live CD?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    The standard Ubuntu installer is both BIOS & UEFI.

    But old BIOS systems will not boot UEFI only configured flash drive.

    I normally create separate flash drives for BIOS & UEFI.
    But some have configured with both copies of grub, so you can boot both ways.

    Another new, simpler and so far successful attempt to create a stable portable system, that works in UEFI and BIOS mode 16.04
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post13468260
    Flash drive to boot in UEFI or BIOS - sudodus
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In.../UEFI-and-BIOS
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...t_in_UEFI_mode
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Beans
    33

    Re: How to Create a EFI/UEFI GRUB2 Multiboot USB drive to boot ISO images

    I found a way to get my GPT partitioned Tails USB to boot on my older BIOS system by raising its boot flag which is not set by default. Getting that OS to work with persistence has plagued me for a week now. It has to have been the most aggravating linux OS I have ever seen.

    sudo parted /dev/sdc1
    and type disk_toggle pmbr_boot
    exit out and reboot, BAM done! Awsome! Why couldn't I have learned that a week ago?


    Come to find out after much searching and reading the bash scripts info .... none of the tails installers or create persistent scripts will run if they find the / partition is not GPT. The scripts error out immeditely and continues to boot without option for persistence.

    The live-persistent script in the boot menu will not load if it finds no GPT partition. If that doesn't load then the Tails Greeter never offers to make a persistent storage device. This was a problem for me because I had not been able to make a GPT partition boot in my machine.

    I did get Tails USB working with a fat32 partition on sdc1 for my boot and grub2 folders.
    sdc2 was ext3 for the iso or mounted and copied files systems via rsync.
    Either way I could boot it but never was offered the persistence because the scripts will not run unless there is a GPT partiiton present named Tails.


    I never could make the USB boot in this tutorial in my computer so I'm gonna go back and try this with it as well.
    Last edited by Sbininit; May 25th, 2016 at 11:58 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •